Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2023, 09:56   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Running without an oil cooler - KV6

Base models without air conditioning did not have an engine oil cooler - is this correct?
My V6 car’s oil cooler is suspected of leaking oil into the coolant so I plan to take it out of the coolant circuit. Assuming I don’t run the air conditioning in cooling mode I don’t see a problem. However, I would welcome opinions.

Assuming I can eventually extract the early type oil cooler for inspection/repair, or fit the later type, does anyone know the thread of the two holes where the pipes enter the oil filter casting. I understand these can be blocked as the cooler takes a bypass oil flow only, but would like that to be confirmed before I wreak the engine.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2023, 07:40   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Base models without air conditioning did not have an engine oil cooler - is this correct?
... the cooler takes a bypass oil flow only, but would like that to be confirmed ...
This is what RAVE says Mike:

"An oil cooler is included which is designed to keep the engine lubrication oil cool under heavy loads and high ambient temperatures.

There's no specific mention of air conditioning there. If no oil cooler was fitted a different oil pump & filter housing (without ports) would be required. I haven't seen one in the parts lists, have you? Plus the lubrication circuit diagram in RAVE shows only one arrangement, including an oil cooler.

"The engine oil cooler is a partial flow type ..."
"... a higher proportion of oil flow is directed to the cylinder block main oil gallery whilst a lower proportion of oil flow (controlled by a restrictor in the oil filter housing) is directed to the engine oil cooler."

i hope that puts your mind at rest.

Simon
Old 11th April 2023, 11:58   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
This is what RAVE says Mike:

"An oil cooler is included which is designed to keep the engine lubrication oil cool under heavy loads and high ambient temperatures.

There's no specific mention of air conditioning there. If no oil cooler was fitted a different oil pump & filter housing (without ports) would be required. I haven't seen one in the parts lists, have you? Plus the lubrication circuit diagram in RAVE shows only one arrangement, including an oil cooler.

"The engine oil cooler is a partial flow type ..."
"... a higher proportion of oil flow is directed to the cylinder block main oil gallery whilst a lower proportion of oil flow (controlled by a restrictor in the oil filter housing) is directed to the engine oil cooler."

i hope that puts your mind at rest.

Simon
Thank you Simon
For now I’ll assemble the car less the oil cooler so I can move it about and also check the cooler or find out where oil is getting into the coolant. Just need to source suitable bungs for the holes in the filter adapter. I’m sure refitting the cooler can be done once the area has been scrupulously cleaned, just very awkward for access and spannering, the gap between compressor and sump where the pipe unions are being the main issue.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 13:31   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Just need to source suitable bungs for the holes in the filter adapter.
Try this company Mike. They're very likely to have a threaded blanking plug that will be just the job.

Simon