Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th April 2023, 14:51   #1
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Default Engine just cut out at 106deg c on ipk! Whilst stationary.

My Spanish car which has been garaged for the past 4 months is playing up.

We arrived here yesterday and car started straight away after I reconnected the negative lead on the battery and the engine ran ok and earlier today. As the dash temp gauge was showing at 7o/c which I know is unreliable, I then needed to top up the coolant with about half pint water.

Whilst parked up and using the IPK, 19 THEN 7 to check the engine temperature, I ran the engine to check that the fan would come on at 105, well it did not until 108 degC then as it cooled to 106 THE ENGINE CUT OUT and would not restart. I let it cool down and tried to start it again which it did around 63 degC whereupon I attempted to raise the engine temperature again and the engine cut out again but this time at 88degC and it will not now restart.

The first time when it reached 108degC there was a lot of water under the car from the radiator? Plus I could not deterrmine when the fan cut out as the engine had stopped. The secong time as it reached 88degC there was a dull bumping noise comeing from the engine compartment just before the engine stopped.
It appear as if there is no fuel going to the engine as it will not start although it turns over. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks Jim
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2023, 15:22   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

A longshot as your problems maybe more profound - but starting then failing hot then cooling and re-starting may point to a faulty crank sensor -when she cuts out again turn her over and see if the rev counter flickers - if not that points to a faulty/failed crank sensor.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2023, 15:24   #3
Yorkshire GOC

And i know its Spain but have you checked the plenum chamber?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Old 14th April 2023, 16:30   #4
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

She is at 44degC and is starting again and I have just taken her to a local garage which he cannot look at until Thursday next as she needs an MOT and a Front wheel sensor replaced {which I brought out with me} so he will look at this problem as well.

When driving her to this garage she was very sluggish acceleration, with the revving not right then suddenly just picking up. She was ok yesterday until I tested her temperature and fan operation, so probably waiting to happen!

I will go and check the plenum but as you know it does not rain much here and she was garaged for the 5 months.

If crank sensor is this serious/expensive.

Although my wife reckons she is a pile of do-dah, but I love her and she looks like new with good bodywork and paintwork.
Many thanks.

Last edited by skinnyL; 14th April 2023 at 16:40.. Reason: additional info.
Old 14th April 2023, 17:21   #5
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Plenhum dry as a bone both sides. I knew I should have brought out an air filter damn!
Old 14th April 2023, 17:32   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Well non starting when hot points to either the cam/crank sensor, be interesting to get it on a code reader, but does the rev counter moves when cranking?

I'm a little bit suspicious of the fan operation, I've got a note for the V6 of fan coming on: low speed at 100, medium at 106 & high at 112. Then the ejection of coolant, I'd remove the engine cover and have a look at the thermostat area. Perhaps even open the bleed screw and check for free flow.

Regards

Last edited by vitesse; 15th April 2023 at 07:59.. Reason: spelling
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2023, 15:33   #7
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Well non starting when hot points to either the cam/crank sensor, be interesting to get it on a code reader, but does the rev counter moves when cranking?

I'm a little bit suspicious of the fan operation, I've got a note for the V6 of fan coming on: low speed at 100, medium at 106 & high at 112. Then the ejection of coolant, I'd remove the engine cover and have a look at the thermostat area. Perhaps even open the bleed screw and check for free flow.

Regards
Car started this morning first time, so unable to check if rev counter moves when cranking. Removed the engine cover and no sign of a leak or water near the thermostat housing. The car is running as smooth as it always has before this temp/fan business yesterday. I parked up and ran the engine at 2000rpm to see what happens once it reached 100degC and the fan came on and reduced the temp to 96degC. I attempted to raise the temperature again by revving at 3000 rpm but I could not get the temp above 103degC with the fan running at 1st speed. So I took it for a drive to try and raise the temp under load but the temp did not go above 96degC so it seeems that and I feel that it may have been an air lock.

So I do not really know if It will again have the problem of the engine cutting out at 106degC especially whilst driving as the steering would then also be a problem, but as I say, today it is running smoothly.

I do have an TOAF app on my computer, which I have not used so I will see if my garage will use this instead of his own equipment to attempt to determine any further problem/s.
Old 16th April 2023, 09:02   #8
Yorkshire GOC

If it is the crank sensor it is a low cost easy repair. Dont think it can be cam sensor as your car would not start at all - and as you have fired her up then she cut out that to me eliminates the cam sensor.