Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2008, 17:13   #1
Fille
Loves to post

SOLD - Rover 75 Tourer 2,0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default Build date

Is there any simple way I can find when my Rover's birthday is?
Old 16th January 2008, 17:15   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...PK+diagnostics
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:17   #3
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

I may be wrong, but I believe I have heard it mentioned that there is a label attached to the bodywork under the rear seat cushion.

Please wait for confirmation from another member before you take out your rear seat.

After reading GG's reply please ignore my stupid statement.

Last edited by ragitty; 16th January 2008 at 17:19.. Reason: spelling
ragitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:20   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragitty View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe I have heard it mentioned that there is a label attached to the bodywork under the rear seat cushion.

Please wait for confirmation from another member before you take out your rear seat.

That's springs and dampers info.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:26   #5
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragitty View Post

Not stupid at all ragitty. As you say the label is dated and the date on the label, from my own experience, is normally within a couple of days, if not the same day that the car came off the production line.

hth

Mike

Last edited by Mike; 16th January 2008 at 17:33..
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:27   #6
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

The IPK date should be taken with a pinch of salt - in my case at least.

The IPK date on my car is 40 04, and I have found stickers on various pieces of trim dated early Feb, 2005. Thats about a 5 month difference.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:37   #7
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The build date is normally found on the suspension sticker under the nearside of the rear seat this not only gives details about what suspension components were fitted but the date, time and shift that fitted them. The rest of the car is normally finished within the same day. There are other build date stickers and quality control stickers but most are difficult to find unless you are dismantling that area.
The Ipk date is not always accurate, mine gives 04/00 the first production Tourers weren't built until the last week in May 2001. (my Ipk has not been changed before anyone asks).

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 19:27   #8
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigruss42 View Post
the first production Tourers weren't built until the last week in May 2001
Russ
Russ, is this date of end of May 2001 definite? Mine was born on 23rd March 2001 it seems (according to the sticker under the back seat) and was registered on May 2nd. As far as I know it was transport for someone in Rover management (registered c/o Rover but delivered to a Kent dealership). Does the build date make it a pre-production car?

Karl
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:26   #9
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Allegroman,I think you may just have an early pre-volume production Tourer!! By this I think that your car may have been built during the period before full production when the production lines were being set up and staff familiarised with the new model. But someone who has access to more detailed information may know more.
I have it on good authority that my car started life as a shell in the last week of May based on my Vin number. It was built on the 6th June but had to go back for remedial work in the heater area, and was finally completed on the 8th June, so mine may also be part of the same pre- volume production period. Delivered to Dixon Rover York wher it was put in the showroom before being registered and used as a demonstrator. It was sold to it's first owner Jan 2002. It would perhaps be useful to compare Vins, but it may not show up anything useful.

I don't have a definitive date for the start of Tourer production. The information I have obtained from various sites and forums. I know that the Tourer was available for order on the 25th May 2001 the first being delivered to dealers in the last week of July.
A few members of the press had seen the Tourer during January, but the first the public got to see was at the Geneva Motor Show, which opened on
February 27.
It made it's first public appearence here, at Alexandra palace at the Fleet Show May 1st-3rd 2001.
I have also found press releases dated mid June that state that full production hadn't yet started.

The Tourer as a concept stems from the days of BMW ownership of Rover,but held back on it's development whilst they saw how well the sales of the Saloon faired. When Phoenix took over, they finished off what BMW had started. Once production of the Saloon had been transferred to Longbridge in November 2000 the final development of the Tourer took place.

Hope this helps,
Russ

Last edited by BigRuss; 16th January 2008 at 23:12..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 23:55   #10
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

Thanks Russ

My VIN ends 208156, which tallies with Project Drive dates from around then(eg 26.03.01 D post badge deletion, from VIN 208804).

It seems odd that it's so hard to get concrete proof of the launch date, I searched high and low when it started to twig that mine was quite an early one.

Karl
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote