Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2011, 08:34   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
There is no good evidence either way. There are people who have run their CDTIs for tens of thousands of miles on bio diesel without issue, and there are those who have used good regular diesel from the start who need new pumps after a short time. Of those bio diesel user who have had pump failures how many would have had it anyway, even with regular diesel??

If one guys opinion is that bio diesel ruined his car then all it takes is one guy who used it without issue to counter his claim and invalidate the opinion.
Which pumps are failing? If its the high pressure ones then could well be affected by biodiesel, but I haven't heard of many going. If its the primary or secondary on the low pressure side then mine went open circuit, so probably would have done no matter what was going through it.

I've made up my mind to sit on the fence a bit longer on this one. Agree that not enough hard evidence is out there yet.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:00   #12
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

[QUOTE=rovexCDTi;657707]There is no good evidence either way. There are people who have run their CDTIs for tens of thousands of miles on bio diesel without issue, and there are those who have used good regular diesel from the start who need new pumps after a short time. Of those bio diesel user who have had pump failures how many would have had it anyway, even with regular diesel??

If one guys opinion is that bio diesel ruined his car then all it takes is one guy who used it without issue to counter his claim and invalidate the opinion.[/QUOT

read up on it it is recomended only 5% of tank volume is bio diesel .... the car we worked on WAS a result o this bio stuff... we even cut open the filter and shone a torch on it and could see the little glistening bits for the pump being attacked ...the guys car was running fine until 2 months ago ,so about a year of using this stuff.. by te way he was filling the tank with just this stuff,, yes one guy at the monent but im sure alot more will be having the same poblem
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:42   #13
goldievvc
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 190

The TD4 engine (or whatever you boys like to call it) is prone to injectors failing. Working with landrover I see all types of rubbish going through the fuel systems. Farmers like to save money! The injectors are sensitive on normal fuel, and anything else seems to clog them up for want of a better term. Red diesel, bio diesel, the injectors don`t like it. I have an old transit recovery truck and you could run it on crude oil with no difference! but on a newer more refined engine, i`d avoid it like the plague. Having to pay for just one new injector would blow any money you think you`d saved.

Last edited by Dragrad; 23rd January 2011 at 22:04.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
goldievvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 07:06   #14
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldievvc View Post
The TD4 engine (or whatever you boys like to call it) is prone to injectors failing. Working with landrover I see all types of rubbish going through the fuel systems. Farmers like to save money! The injectors are sensitive on normal fuel, and anything else seems to clog them up for want of a better term. Red diesel, bio diesel, the injectors don`t like it. I have an old transit recovery truck and you could run it on crude oil with no difference! but on a newer more refined engine, i`d avoid it like the plague. Having to pay for just one new injector would blow any money you think you`d saved.
my point exactly these engines dont like it and wont stay healthy ,,, so as i said already dont use bio diesel at all... in the next 5 years 80% new car will be common rail diesel engined ..

im just trying to be helpful here ,i quote on what i have seen with my own eyes andnot just read... as they say seeing is believeing .if the ops car is running fine on derv then why change and add a risk is all im saying ...

Last edited by chrissyboy; 24th January 2011 at 07:20..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 15:26   #15
flyer_phil
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Classic, 2003, Moonstone

The problem is Chris is that these days you have no option due to EU legislation.

For example next time you fill up at a Morrisons supermarket, look at the pump carefully and you will find a label saying that it contains 7% Bio-diesel.

Its now EU law since last year I think, but not certain. All fuel has to contain at least 5% renewable s.

A couple of years ago I did quite a bit of work on this, developing a low cost Bio-diesel processor for the home producer; we were going to go into production producing them in China. However after a while the cost advantage disappeared and it became uneconomic to proceed. So my vision of B&Q having my processor stacked up to the ceiling and "every home should have one" didn't come to fruition - I wasn't the only one to have this idea of course.

Still I suppose time will tell if the fuel causes problems, like the Nikosil problem in the 1990's with the sulphur content of fuel, which cost BMW and Jaguar deep in the purse.
flyer_phil is offline   Reply With Quote