Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st August 2013, 19:19   #11
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
If the 6 had more grunt, it would certainly be a more tempting option. Perhaps a turbo 1.8 similar to the 75/ZT.
Perhaps a smaller capacity turbo engine (1.4 / 1.6) would be popular and a more sensible option.

A 2.5 litre V6, although readilly available and pushing out plenty of power, isn't really an option for them. Tax and fuel economy will put it right down to the bottom of the popularty list these days.
If they can make a deal with another manufacturer to use a more modern six pot engine, that may work out. But developing a V6 to meet todays legislation and running costs just isnt financially viable for SAIC/MG.

As much as we all want to see an MG6 true to MG's heritage, SAIC/MG have made such a mess of the 6's release that it just wont ever be needed.

The MG3 looks to have all the makings of a popular city hatchback, especially with some punchy engines.
And if the MG5 comes along with a 1.5 turbo petrol engine, it could be a real threat to the Focus ST, Pro Cee'd GT and whatever VW's current fast Golf is called.
Thats the car I'd be more tempted to buy, especially if lessons from the terrible 6 launch are learned and corrected before the 3 is released.

The mg6 does run a reworked 1.8 k series turbo as standard
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 19:30   #12
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

IMO anything less then the 1.8 Turbo would be underpowered, the 6 is quite a big car. I had, briefly, a 1.8 nasp R75, which I found very underpowered.

There was a rumour that come 2012, the 6 would be available with a 2l petrol turbo, but as it's well into 2013 - guess thats not happening!

MG are again missing the boat with the 3. One engine, a 1.5l nasp. It also needs a small diesel, and maybe that 1.5l with a turbo. It does stack up well against other small cars, particularly the Fiesta. So, fingers crossed it sells well.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote