Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2017, 13:52   #1
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Default Mystery Bulb Failure Indication

Bit of an odd one. Got in the car this morning and as soon as I switched the ignition on I got a bulb failure indication. I was a little baffled as no lights were switched on at the time, I hadn't touched the brake pedal and I can't think of a single example of a bulb blowing when it's just been sat doing nothing. After a quick check I found that the front sidelights were good, as were the rear lights (no brake light on at half mast), headlights good - dipped and full beam - number plate lights OK and all indicators working perfectly. I couldn't check the brake lights as nobody was around so I assumed that was the issue, but when I got back in the car the bulb failure indication had gone out.

One of my neighbours was outside when I got home and he helped check the brake lights which are also fine. Any ideas on what might cause a spurious indication, or did my car decide to have a momentary bit of fun by winding me up?

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 14:36   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
Bit of an odd one. Got in the car this morning and as soon as I switched the ignition on I got a bulb failure indication. I was a little baffled as no lights were switched on at the time, I hadn't touched the brake pedal and I can't think of a single example of a bulb blowing when it's just been sat doing nothing. After a quick check I found that the front sidelights were good, as were the rear lights (no brake light on at half mast), headlights good - dipped and full beam - number plate lights OK and all indicators working perfectly. I couldn't check the brake lights as nobody was around so I assumed that was the issue, but when I got back in the car the bulb failure indication had gone out.

One of my neighbours was outside when I got home and he helped check the brake lights which are also fine. Any ideas on what might cause a spurious indication, or did my car decide to have a momentary bit of fun by winding me up?
Remove the rear light units and check the bulb holders for rust, clean with wire wool ( disconnect battery first), treat with WD-40 re assemble, good to go.!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 14:46   #3
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Another possibility is that the circuit board for the numberplate lights might need a bit of soldering.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:58   #4
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Had the same thing happen the other week, reg plate lights board was fine, it was the connector in the rear cluster , sprayed with a bit of oil and it worked fine.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 18:27   #5
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had the same fault, not all the time though, front indicator drivers side was the problem, cleaned contacts, sprayed with wd40. No problems since. Check connections!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 22:27   #6
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Remove the rear light units and check the bulb holders for rust, clean with wire wool ( disconnect battery first), treat with WD-40 re assemble, good to go.!
Rear light units are brand new and I checked and cleaned the plugs while fitting them a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Had the same fault, not all the time though, front indicator drivers side was the problem, cleaned contacts, sprayed with wd40. No problems since. Check connections!
Just been the one occasion so far, but if it starts acting up on a regular basis I'll check the indicators out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Another possibility is that the circuit board for the numberplate lights might need a bit of soldering.
Could be, but I'm not keen on taking the unit apart and will rule out other possible causes first

And finally to andrewscruff who sent me a PM saying he'd experienced a similar problem and it turned out to be the side repeaters. I did try to reply to the PM but got a message saying your account was set to either not receive PMs or was blocked from receiving them - not sure what that means, maybe your inbox is full.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote