Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th May 2017, 22:23   #1
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Help diagnosing this noise

Guys,

Despite changing both front lower suspension arms and rear bushes for new FAI parts, and fitting new Delphi track rod ends, I still have a small amount of play in my steering and the car feels wayward compared to other 75s that I've owned. The NS rear bush was completely knackered and both track rod ends were very notchy with noticeable play.

All of the suspension parts that control lateral movement have now been replaced, apart from the inner tie rods. I'm happy to replace these but would like a second opinion before I order the parts and the necessary tool for removing them. Does the noise in the video below sound like bust inner tie rods to you?

https://youtu.be/VvRvAcyDQPo
Old 19th May 2017, 22:55   #2
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

To me it sounds like your strut top mounts have taken a hammering recently, I suspect they've had enough and are now rattling around
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 23:08   #3
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderz View Post
To me it sounds like your strut top mounts have taken a hammering recently, I suspect they've had enough and are now rattling around
Strut top mounts are solid. Top mount bearings are a different matter, but that's a story for another day. Bearings make a twang sound. Top mounts are silent under lateral movement, this is definitely from the bottom end.
Old 20th May 2017, 07:08   #4
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

You said the ns rear bush was replaced, I replaced one, torqued it up and in a few weeks it had worked loose again. Used threadlock and it didn't do it again. Might be work a quick check.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:14   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
The NS rear bush was completely knackered and both track rod ends were very notchy with noticeable play. - - - All of the suspension parts that control lateral movement have now been replaced, apart from the inner tie rods.
Damage to the inner track rod joints may well have resulted from the hammering they suffered because the outer joints were bad. This sort of wear progresses up the train if left long enough. The video seems to me consistant with noise from the steering rack. replacing the inner rods would be worthwhile IMO.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:24   #6
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondhopkins View Post
You said the ns rear bush was replaced, I replaced one, torqued it up and in a few weeks it had worked loose again. Used threadlock and it didn't do it again. Might be work a quick check.
Thanks Simon, I'll take a look at the rear bush mounting bolts. I replaced both sides, so I suppose they could have worked themselves loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Damage to the inner track rod joints may well have resulted from the hammering they suffered because the outer joints were bad. This sort of wear progresses up the train if left long enough. The video seems to me consistant with noise from the steering rack. replacing the inner rods would be worthwhile IMO.

TC
Thanks TC, definitely sounds like it's coming from the inner rods to me.
Old 21st May 2017, 20:45   #7
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Had the wheels off again today. Rear bush bolts are tight as you like and there's no play in the outer track rods, ball joints or rear pin bush. On rocking the steering knuckle at the 3 and 9 o'clock, there is movement visible at the inner tie rod boot, so it's definitely the inner tie rods to blame for the sloppy road manners. New parts arriving tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:23   #8
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Glad you found the problem.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 20:34   #9
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Finally got around to fitting two new inner tie rods and track rod ends this morning. I used FAI tie rods and Delphi track rod ends and then had the alignment set on a Hunter Hawkeye machine. All knocking is gone and the steering is perfect, no wandering, pulling or play. Next up is new shocks, springs, top mounts and bearings.