Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2017, 17:40   #1
Wotan

75 sold - Rover P4 80 remains

Default MAD suspension assisters - 75 diesel Tourer

Hello, folks.
Has anyone here used/fitted these -
http://mad-suspension.co.uk/index.ph...product_id=419

Having bought my Tourer earlier this year I have had a towbar fitted and use it to tow my boat - a traditional style 18ft gaff rigger - which on its braked trailer has an all-up weight of just under a ton (or tonne for the younger members ). The nose weight isn't excessive at around 55-60kg according to the gauge, but the back of the car still dips quite a lot, especially with the weight of any extra gear in the boot.
I've also noticed the same when I fit a Pendle bike rack and a couple of bikes.
I was considering fitting self-levellers but I think it would be easier to find a pair tadpole's t*ts.
The car is excellent for towing and the autobox on a steep slipway is a dream.
I was hoping for any comments on ease of fitting and of improvements to ride height when loaded etc.
Thanks.
Steve
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:02   #2
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Steve
I've not used them, but with a saloon I tow a caravan all up 1425kg and run with 90-100kg noseweight and do not find any significant dip even when I load up the boot.
It is surprising that with a tourer (heavier duty springs?) you have a problem with your set up. Are your rear springs up to scratch, especially as you have an issue with a couple of bikes. How is the ride height unladen, or with passengers in the back?
I have not even felt the need to fit Grayson rubber type assisters and I've covered a lot of long distance miles towing through Europe without issue.

Might be worth checking out before you part with your cash.
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 10:21   #3
Wotan

75 sold - Rover P4 80 remains

Thanks, Tony.
Ive no reason to think that there is anything amiss with the rear suspension after just 60k miles of what looks to have been light use by just two previous owners - and it was MOTd only last week. This comes down to personal preference of wanting a car to sit level, not to carry excessive loads.
As it is the car is entirely capable of carrying the loads without bottoming out, it just doesn't look right.
I did tow my previous boat without any problem, to a local weighbridge to check the weights before taking it to Southampton where it was shipped to Australia. As it turned out the boat weighed in at 1780kg (over the 1600kg limit) and it had a nose weight of just under 100kg. If I'd moved some of the gear into the car the overall weight distribution would have been fine. I decided however to use a friend's Xtrail. I had previously towed it with a VW T5 but became tired of the endless faults that VW build into the damn things but thats another story.
If there had been no issues with load carryiing and towing then Rover would never have offered self-levelling suspension as an option

Steve
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote