Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2018, 13:31   #11
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

There really is a LOAD of bobbins being spouted by people about the new MOT like "as we know now you can't move your car after a fail." and "So they have now employed a "no move if failed" rule"... would anyone like to backup these claims with links to actual policy and/or enforced laws?

This was posted yesterday by MGR South Devon after actually speaking to VOSA.

Having now read all the numerous thread on this subject, as an AE for a MOT test station I spoke directly to VOSA for clarification on what authority a test station has regarding any cars that fail. I will clarify the points as follow:

The test station can only advise that the dangerous items should be repaired immediately, but they cannot insist the car must be left at the test station.
If the car has a current MOT, it is still valid until midnight on the day of expiry. The customer can take the car home or to another garage for repair.

Nothing has actually changed regarding the rules as under the Road Traffic Act, any car with or without an MOT which is found to be dangerous can and has always been subject to prosecution. Only now they may give out considerably higher fines. It will be down to the discretion of the Police if they decide whether or not to fine.

If any MOT station 'blackmails' a customer in making them have the repairs done at their garage, then I suggest they should be reported to VOSA.

With this information, I suggest we just carry on as before, and make our own decision as how to proceed at the time of the test. Personally, I think the police force are stretched as it is to randomly stop every motorist, so unless the car is an absolute death trap, I don't think we should worry too much.

Hopefully this will finally put the matter to rest.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...7&postcount=87
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote