Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2010, 21:25   #21
Radioguy
Banned

None

I would like to receive an Email from those that are experiiencing Radio reception and TMC reception problems so I an compile a list and so I can see if there are any consistencies.

Tony's and Others are working well and We will do what we have to to get this resolved.

If you could tell me how you are connected (Re:aerials) and email me at [email protected] We may have to provide a booster or a different splitter. I will work with Tony Fry to get this done.

Sean
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:21   #22
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I would like to receive an Email from those that are experiiencing Radio reception and TMC reception problems so I an compile a list and so I can see if there are any consistencies.

Tony's and Others are working well and We will do what we have to to get this resolved.

If you could tell me how you are connected (Re:aerials) and email me at [email protected] We may have to provide a booster or a different splitter. I will work with Tony Fry to get this done.

Sean

One problem with this subject is that everyone's opinion of "Poor reception" is probably different. We could do with a definitive test to check reception Quality, but as we all live in different places, have cars with different screens, different amplifiers, and listen to different stations, the first thing you need to do is narrow it down a bit.

For what its worth, I have the original DD from Cathy with TMC but just a single input for the aerial, and no RDS. When first connected I considered the reception poor on BBC Radio 4. I had a full diversity amp, but I had a non diversity screen due to it being previously replaced. To obtain reasonable reception I changed to a non diversity amp plus an in line booster which I soldered inside the non diversity amp to enable me to retain all the original wiring to the head unit. The signal quality improved so much that I normally drive around with the radio volume at around level 8 whereas previously it needed to be at about 12.

I still consider reception to be worse than my original Symphony, but I put that down to the fact my unit has no RDS. However I have driven all over the UK and can receive both TMC and BBC radio 4 everywhere with no problem so I now consider it acceptable.

Maybe a standard test should be applied before people reply to your request. For example, fix to one national station, volume set at a standard level, and confirm the car specs they have, screens, amps etc.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 08:49   #23
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

My unit is the latest one from sean, it has tmc and rds signal provided through rear screen aeriel and original diversity amp. I have used a splitter to feed both sides of the unit, as with david above my signal is probably slightly worse than the symphoney installed previously but is good non the less,

I did a 500 mile trip to york and back last monday and had TMC and clear radio 2 all the way there and back.

the reception is still better than the OEM stereo in the wifes 45.

for all those who have a diversity amp on the d pillar if you are using the iso adapter supplied with the unit be aware that it will no longer be getting power, i took the feed out of the original loom and spliced it into the accesory power feed to the unit.

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 09:05   #24
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

Wutang, please could you expand on that? That may be the answer to my problem...I've got the Diversity and a generally crappy radio signal; with the old hiline it was brilliant. Do you know which wires I need to give 12V?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 09:36   #25
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post
My unit is the latest one from sean, it has tmc and rds signal provided through rear screen aeriel and original diversity amp. I have used a splitter to feed both sides of the unit, as with david above my signal is probably slightly worse than the symphoney installed previously but is good non the less,

I did a 500 mile trip to york and back last monday and had TMC and clear radio 2 all the way there and back.

the reception is still better than the OEM stereo in the wifes 45.

for all those who have a diversity amp on the d pillar if you are using the iso adapter supplied with the unit be aware that it will no longer be getting power, i took the feed out of the original loom and spliced it into the accesory power feed to the unit.

Richard
Do you know if this will apply to the non diversity type?
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 14:03   #26
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post

Richard

I have the adapter supplied with my unit installed, and my amp gets power to it. My adapter was supplied with the earlier unit. Has it changed on the more recent version?

I know the back of the units are different than they used to be. Maybe this is something to check with the factory that they didn't miss off the AMP control wire.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 20:19   #27
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

I wll have a look tomorrow as far as I can remember the power feed to the signal amp is a purple wire with a yellow stripe, on mine i checked the wire going into the amp itself and then looked for the coresponding wire in the iso plug behind the dash, with the new unit it was not conected to anything in the short adapter loom so I took it out and joined it to the Acc power feed.

will try and get some pics.

Richard

Edit, I presume this power feed will be the same on both types of amp
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 21:30   #28
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I suppose it all depends on what original set up you all had but I must say Iv'e had no probs at all.

Just made up my own splitter and pluged all into it, and brilliant reception on FM and TMC. Especially Radio 2 which always has a dodgy reception in my reigeon.

Maybe you have dodgy shop sourced splitters which are naff

I had the Symphony set so i know i have a booster in the rear nearside c pillar. but no TV wired in.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 21:32   #29
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
I have the adapter supplied with my unit installed, and my amp gets power to it. My adapter was supplied with the earlier unit. Has it changed on the more recent version?

I know the back of the units are different than they used to be. Maybe this is something to check with the factory that they didn't miss off the AMP control wire.
That Amp wire is nothing to do with the Aerial amp. Its a sub woofer amp switching supply wire, suppluies 12 volts to a relay in an external amp for power to sub or speakers.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 21:49   #30
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I too am suffering from this, and quite badly.

I bought the additional splitter which thus far hasnt improved things at all and the only RDS station I can lock onto is Radio 4, yet the local BBC Station (BBC Radio Ulster) provides the service locally on same set-ups.

As for signal quality, its awful. I even loose radio 1/radio 2 and local stations are a disaster, loosing signal at various speeds and various locations.

Its quite frustrating as I listen to a lot of Radio 2 and BBC Radio Ulster/U105 locally.

Im going to try removing the splitter and using the normal ariel just instead and see if that helps.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote