Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2009, 16:49   #11
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

tear a bar in half then spray liberal amounts of the quid detailer on a panel and rub using light pressure. if it starts to stick to the paint use more spray. check the clay regularly and fold into itself when the face gets dirty. you'll know when the panels clean as it will glide and not catch on anything.
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:56   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

You can read an in-depth guide on using clay here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=4829

A bit lengthy, but worth reading. You could damage your paintwork if you go about it the wrong way. Best single bit of advice: - if you drop the clay on the ground, bin it! Don't be tempted to pick the grit out and re-use it, as you will only wreck your paintwork.

Hope this helps,

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 21:02   #13
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

So far I've clayed the bonnet, scratchx'd the bonnet, clayed the bonnet, used some special polish that came with the clay on the bonnet, I've clayed the roof and O/S/F wing and polished. The main difference is how shiny and smooth it is. When I was doing it the light was still good outside and it was looking good, I could still see the defect but I could have lived with it.

I have just been out in te car and parked under some lights and I think that under artificial light it looks worse?! I have been told that these chromactive colours, particularly Spectre are not very good at the best of times so maybe I will have to just accept it.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:46   #14
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Phil, having seen the pic it is what we call blooming. Its more noticeable to the owner than any excited onlookers !!
Old 13th April 2009, 21:51   #15
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by black olive View Post
Phil, having seen the pic it is what we call blooming. Its more noticeable to the owner than any excited onlookers !!
I was hoping you'd see it. Horrid innit!
Old 18th May 2009, 17:55   #16
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
clay will only remove stuff stuck to your paint. from that photo it looks like you have some kind of oxidization going on which is odd on a car with clearcoat and not single stage paint. if you are going to buy from halfords some scratch x and plenty (and i do mean plenty) of elbow grease may get rid of it but if its anything like black olives bonnet it will just laugh at you and stick its tongue out. failing that it will need machine polishing.
Going on Friday to have the bonnet machine polished at my local bodyshop as after seeing some of the other cars at the meet they didn't exhibit anything like mine and if it had been painted to this standard then I'd have thought the original owner would have complained. They are going to do the bonnet and see if it makes any difference and if it does they can do the whole car.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:35   #17
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

When I had a look at your car at Cosford I noticed the defect in the paint mainly as I was hoping to be able to buy the car and was giving it quite a close inspection.

The defect is in the chromatic paint. There is noting you can do really to fix this apart from a respray and they can never mix it the same twice so I wouldn't bother.

The weird thing is the more you polish the car and allow more light to reflect off the more you will see the defects in the paint.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:31   #18
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
When I had a look at your car at Cosford I noticed the defect in the paint mainly as I was hoping to be able to buy the car and was giving it quite a close inspection.

The defect is in the chromatic paint. There is noting you can do really to fix this apart from a respray and they can never mix it the same twice so I wouldn't bother.

The weird thing is the more you polish the car and allow more light to reflect off the more you will see the defects in the paint.
The trouble is I'm a perfectionist and cannot help myself. For £20 I think I'll give it a whirl, it did look a bit better after the clay and I do not lie when I say I have never seen it as bad as it was at Cosford, I was actually embarrassed. Even Jackie saw it then. In yet, I went to the bodyshop the other day for their advice and it was completely invisible I felt like a right muppet.
Old 30th May 2009, 19:07   #19
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

I've run out of the detailing Meguiars mist... what else can I use to provide the lubricant?

Thanks
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:10   #20
Phil
This is my second home

This is most annoying.
The paint defect that I have been getting so annoyed about and one of the reasons for me selling the car has vanished. It has been invisible for about 10 days now. I have really tried looking for it as well. So where's it gone??!! Is the car just mocking me because it knows its going on Saturday?

No this isn't a joke. I'm serious!!!!