Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2023, 14:54   #1
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Default Alpine 6 CD changer unit behaviour

The car is fitted with a hi-line set-up using an Alpine 6 CD changer unit fitted in the glove box.
When you remove and reinsert the CD cassette, the changer cycles through all 6 CDs as normal.
From the 'system menu' screen select 'Mode' button -> CD -> select button 1 you can hear the CD unit change to disc 1, the display then shows 'CD 1' a few seconds later the display changes to 'CD1 -01' then the display reverts to the system menu screen, never playing the CD.
All other audio functions work and the CDs are inserted correctly (i.e. the right way up!).
Any idea what's wrong with the system?

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2023, 06:54   #2
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Have you tried to put any other CD in the first slot to see if the same will happen?
Does the same happen if you select CD 2, or any CD in other slots?
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2023, 07:46   #3
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Have you tried to put any other CD in the first slot to see if the same will happen?
Does the same happen if you select CD 2, or any CD in other slots?
Yes, exactly the same behaviour with every slot.
I've read about the common issue with these drives and their drive motors coming out of mesh with the transfer gear so I'm going to strip the unit down over the weekend to check all the mechanical components are OK,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 12th August 2023, 12:41   #4
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Yes, exactly the same behaviour with every slot.
I've read about the common issue with these drives and their drive motors coming out of mesh with the transfer gear so I'm going to strip the unit down over the weekend to check all the mechanical components are OK,

Steve
Probably that is the way to go. I've got one unit that does all that, gets part way into CD1 then skips to another (CD2 every time I think). Let us know how you get on.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2023, 15:31   #5
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Probably that is the way to go. I've got one unit that does all that, gets part way into CD1 then skips to another (CD2 every time I think). Let us know how you get on.

Kev
Hi Kev,
Now had the chance to strip the CD changer, mechanically it's fully functioning, changes discs and loads then and spins the disc, however, I've found that the short connection harness from the CD changer to the main harness has been 'altered' by the previous owner, various wires cut, pieces spliced in (that go nowhere) it's a right mess, so I'm now looking for an unmolested short harness to connect the Alpine CD changer into the harness, which I believe is part number VUL100310

Steve

Last edited by stevenkeyte; 13th August 2023 at 15:32.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 14th August 2023, 11:14   #6
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Hi Kev,
Now had the chance to strip the CD changer, mechanically it's fully functioning, changes discs and loads then and spins the disc, however, I've found that the short connection harness from the CD changer to the main harness has been 'altered' by the previous owner, various wires cut, pieces spliced in (that go nowhere) it's a right mess, so I'm now looking for an unmolested short harness to connect the Alpine CD changer into the harness, which I believe is part number VUL100310

Steve
HI Steve, Kev,

Have a look at this thread... It dealt with a manufacturing glitch on VUL100310 harnesses - the small 10 pin connector that connects the CD to the radio needs to be rotated 180 degrees for sound from the CD to the radio.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ight=blue+clip

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2023, 12:52   #7
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
HI Steve, Kev,

Have a look at this thread... It dealt with a manufacturing glitch on VUL100310 harnesses - the small 10 pin connector that connects the CD to the radio needs to be rotated 180 degrees for sound from the CD to the radio.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ight=blue+clip
Yeah, remember that thread but good to refresh my one memory cell. I don't have a problem with sound just the glitch of bouncing to another CD,

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote