Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st July 2014, 11:56   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the history. So your engine was overheating during town driving. I bet that the problem was the very common one of your radiator fan not working on slow speed. This can be restored with an inexpensive new resistor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmirza16993 View Post
Hope thats enough detail, if not please ask for more and I'll be on the phone to the mechanic.
Yes, could you ask your mechanic what type of fan motor he has fitted, where he got it from, and whether it uses your original control box.
If he hasn't thrown your original away, claim it back! It can be repaired cheaply.

Simon
Old 31st July 2014, 12:11   #12
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

If the fan has been replaced and it works, that problem should have been cured.

If that is indeed the case, it sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed. If it is a turbo model, there should be one at the rear of the radiator in a plastic housing at the bottom of the radiator. If not a turbo, it sits at the water inlet of the engine. It is further possible that you might have two thermostats by mistake. If any one of them won't open, the symptoms you describe will happen.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 12:51   #13
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course).....
... Of course you are quite correct when compared to the 1.8 4 Cylinder, but not the V6's....
Old 31st July 2014, 13:00   #14
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
... Of course you are quite correct when compared to the 1.8 4 Cylinder, but not the V6's....
Well not unless you count all the time in the shade at the petrol stations....
Old 31st July 2014, 16:30   #15
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the history. So your engine was overheating during town driving. I bet that the problem was the very common one of your radiator fan not working on slow speed. This can be restored with an inexpensive new resistor.

Yes, could you ask your mechanic what type of fan motor he has fitted, where he got it from, and whether it uses your original control box.
If he hasn't thrown your original away, claim it back! It can be repaired cheaply.

Simon
I forgot to mention that the mechanic placed a little switch below the steering wheel area in order to manually control when the fan comes on as a measure to control heating. The mechanic has told me that he didn't replace the fan, just placed the switch for me to control when the fan comes on. So I think the resistor solution you presented is probably the best thing for me to give a go. Would you happen to know where I can get my hands on one?

Furthermore, I understand that the main topic here has been engine heating but I'd be grateful if I could get help on another issue. Basically, the car has begun to feel very sluggish, getting off in first gear requires a lot of revving and the reason my mechanic gave is that "its not firing on all cylinders so its not using all its power". Now I'm no mechanic so I would love for anyone to tell me what on earth that means and more importantly, a solution

Thanks again guys, this is really the best advice I've received on these issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
If the fan has been replaced and it works, that problem should have been cured.

If that is indeed the case, it sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed. If it is a turbo model, there should be one at the rear of the radiator in a plastic housing at the bottom of the radiator. If not a turbo, it sits at the water inlet of the engine. It is further possible that you might have two thermostats by mistake. If any one of them won't open, the symptoms you describe will happen.
Hi kaiser,

This seems like another possibility so at the moment, between Simon and yourself, I've got two things to look at - the fan not working at slow speed and the thermostat.

I'm gonna have a chat with the mechanic about what can be done, but I'd also love your advice on the "not firing on all cylinders" problem mentioned above.

Thanks buddy

Last edited by mmirza16993; 31st July 2014 at 16:32..
mmirza16993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 17:56   #16
SD1too

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the mechanic placed a little switch below the steering wheel area in order to manually control when the fan comes on ..
Oh dear. So the mechanic hasn't fixed the overheating problem. But we're here to help you. So, here's an easy test for you to do:
  1. Start the engine from cold.
  2. Make sure that the mechanic's switch is off so that the radiator fan is not running.
  3. On the air conditioning control panel press the windscreen demist button.
  4. Get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Is the fan running?

We'll tackle the fan first, then move on to the thermostat if necessary.

Test number 2:

When you look through the radiator grille do you see this:

This is the silver resistor; a rectangular block with a wire at each end. Thanks to Arctic for the excellent photograph.

If you haven't got one, you will see this:

That's another of Arctic's photographs.
Quote:
... the reason my mechanic gave is that "its not firing on all cylinders so its not using all its power"
If that were true, your "check engine" warning light would be illuminated, it would be difficult to start and you would be complaining that it sounds like a tractor. Does any of that sound familiar?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 31st July 2014 at 18:09..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 18:10   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

It is actually pretty easy.
If you can switch the fan on, and it works, the engine should not overheat.
If it does, even with the fan on, the problem is a thermostat stuck, or a head gasket blown.
the test with the demist is for a normal working system, but is of absolute no value here. Just switch the fan on, and the temperature should stay in check.

the misfire can be lack of fuel and lack of spark. Check the fuel filter housing, they can come undone and deprive the engine of fuel (it just returns to the tank). It is situated under the back seat left side and can come undone.
Worn spark lugs can also give you misfire, as can coils and faulty timing.

Eliminate the fan first, just leave it on and see what happens.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 19:04   #18
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Quote:
Oh dear. So the mechanic hasn't fixed the overheating problem. But we're here to help you. So, here's an easy test for you to do:
  1. Start the engine from cold.
  2. Make sure that the mechanic's switch is off so that the radiator fan is not running.
  3. On the air conditioning control panel press the windscreen demist button.
  4. Get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Is the fan running?

We'll tackle the fan first, then move on to the thermostat if necessary.

Test number 2:

When you look through the radiator grille do you see this:

This is the silver resistor; a rectangular block with a wire at each end. Thanks to Arctic for the excellent photograph.

If you haven't got one, you will see this:

That's another of Arctic's photographs.

If that were true, your "check engine" warning light would be illuminated, it would be difficult to start and you would be complaining that it sounds like a tractor. Does any of that sound familiar?

Simon
Hi guys,

I did the first test you mentioned, the demister one and the fan was not running when I looked through the radiator grille.

I also did the second test and there was a silver resistor present.

Does this mean that there is a problem with the thermostat or the fan?

Also regarding the last point about firing on all cylinders, the car does have an ignition problem. You have to press the ignition for maybe 2-3 seconds at times. Any idea what the cause for this may be?

PS Thank you so much for the pictures, they really did help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
It is actually pretty easy.
If you can switch the fan on, and it works, the engine should not overheat.
If it does, even with the fan on, the problem is a thermostat stuck, or a head gasket blown.
the test with the demist is for a normal working system, but is of absolute no value here. Just switch the fan on, and the temperature should stay in check.

the misfire can be lack of fuel and lack of spark. Check the fuel filter housing, they can come undone and deprive the engine of fuel (it just returns to the tank). It is situated under the back seat left side and can come undone.
Worn spark lugs can also give you misfire, as can coils and faulty timing.

Eliminate the fan first, just leave it on and see what happens.
If what you're saying is true, then the problem is definitely with the thermostat because the head gasket was recently replaced and the temperature can go 50%+ even with the fan on.

Regarding the misfire (I'm assuming thats to do with the ignition problem), how can I go about checking those things at home because I'm beginning to lose faith in my mechanic!

Thanks for the support fellas
Old 31st July 2014, 19:41   #19
SD1too

Quote:
I did the first test you mentioned, the demister one and the fan was not running when I looked through the radiator grille.
I also did the second test and there was a silver resistor present.
Does this mean that there is a problem with the thermostat or the fan?
It means that you have the common problem of a failed fan resistor. An uprated 'gold' resistor, which will not fail in the same way, is available for a near pittance from club trader Jules. You can fit this yourself if you're willing to have a go at DIY. This will restore proper cooling to your engine.

Quote:
Thank you so much for the pictures, they really did help!
They're Arctic's pictures. He's a bit of a living legend in our club when it comes to photographing things.
Quote:
.. the problem is definitely with the thermostat because the head gasket was recently replaced and the temperature can go 50%+ even with the fan on.
We've established that you only have one fan speed, so we can't be definite about the thermostat at the moment.

Simon
Old 31st July 2014, 19:52   #20
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Quote:
It means that you have the common problem of a failed fan resistor. An uprated 'gold' resistor, which will not fail in the same way, is available for a near pittance from club trader Jules. You can fit this yourself if you're willing to have a go at DIY. This will restore proper cooling to your engine.

They're Arctic's pictures. He's a bit of a living legend in our club when it comes to photographing things.

We've established that you only have one fan speed, so we can't be definite about the thermostat at the moment.

Simon
You've been a life saver my friend. Regarding this Jules, does he have a website or something I can check out? Also do you know how much he sells the
resistor for?