Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th November 2007, 09:36   #21
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Recently my Mot tester has played about with my headlights which I felt were fine

I asked him why and he said each MOT must run for at least 45 minutes
Happened to me at MOT on Monday. Car was fine, but did exactly the same (headlight adjust) Talking to mechanic, currently MOT stations are subject to spot checks in Yorkshire, just to make sure the car that is booked in on the computer at the time is still there! The 45 min is all recorded by computer input now.

My local MOT station was recently investigated for being too strict can you believe. ( even though he doesn't do repairs) A customer complained about a failure, took it to another garage who only gave an advisory!! He had the powers that be with him for three days solid to look at his testing standards.

Don't know what happened to the other garage but the test investigators were very abrupt and rude, seemingly MOT stations are guilty until proven innocent?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 10:57   #22
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

This 45 minute rule effectively reduces the earning capacity of the MOT station.
Talking to the tester at the station, he said he likes to think that he is very thorough, but at the most it would take 25-30 minutes.

This means on a normal working day it costs him 4 or 5 tests per day!
Fortunately, they have a way round this by having more than one tester at the garage who logs on, and is able to start a new test.
But as Dave says, the car has to remain at the garage until the end of 45 mins in case of checks.

I can see that some garages with only one tester are going to find chargable faults in order to recoup some of their lost income.

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 11:54   #23
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Quote:
I can see that some garages with only one tester are going to find chargable faults in order to recoup some of their lost income.

Russ[/QUOTE]

That would be dangerous for any tester, as VOSA inspectors are extremely active at the moment, checkings testers and test records, they are also carrying out checks on the standards being applied.
Old 9th November 2007, 11:56   #24
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

I remember reading earlier this year that our tests are much stricter than most other EC countries.

I believe in France you don't have your first one until the car is 6 years old and then it's repeated every two years.

Andy
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 13:29   #25
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchubs View Post
Russ
That would be dangerous for any tester, as VOSA inspectors are extremely active at the moment, checkings testers and test records, they are also carrying out checks on the standards being applied.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that, but quite a lot of people usually use the same test station.
In fact my tester sends me a reminder by post each year to be able to book the car in advance. So if the tester knows the person from previous visits he could judge wether he could be a little less forgiving with his testing. eg. Mrs bloggs who is grateful to get another years ticket for less than £150. As long as the tester isn't finding the same kinds of problems for cars it wouldn't show up on his records.

Most people don't even stop with their cars, they just drop them off and pick up the car and the bill later. (Personally I stop with mine and if he finds something, I get him to show me what it is, as he knows well that he won't be getting the work to do.)

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 13:46   #26
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Whilst I think the 45 minute thing is a bit OTT it has definatley made a difference to the amount of dodgy MOTs knocking around.

It used to be very easy to jst give a garage £20 in exchange for an MOT certifcate without even taking your car to them. VOSA seem to have made a big impact on that with the new system.

Just had the MOT done on the 75 and there were a few bulb problems so rather than failing it they kindly sorted them all out for me whilst they were waiting for the timer to run out. Every little helps!
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 13:55   #27
SteveWaller
Avid contributor

Rover 75 cdti Contemporary SE

You should try getting an MOT in Northern Ireland. We have the same test, but it is carried out by Government run testing stations and not by local garages (who are not allowed to do MOTs over here). Each testing station has a line of fancy computerised machines that test everything to the letter. Recently the headlamp aim thing has become a big issue as it is not easy to get it checked before going for an MOT and they will not allow the headlamp aim to be adjusted if they are not correct, they will just fail the car. You have to book your MOT several weeks in advance as well. Is a lot easier on two wheels though as a bike will not fit on any of the fancy testing machines.
SteveWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 15:47   #28
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Quote:
I appreciate that, but quite a lot of people usually use the same test station.
In fact my tester sends me a reminder by post each year to be able to book the car in advance. So if the tester knows the person from previous visits he could judge wether he could be a little less forgiving with his testing. eg. Mrs bloggs who is grateful to get another years ticket for less than £150. As long as the tester isn't finding the same kinds of problems for cars it wouldn't show up on his records.

Most people don't even stop with their cars, they just drop them off and pick up the car and the bill later. (Personally I stop with mine and if he finds something, I get him to show me what it is, as he knows well that he won't be getting the work to do.)

Russ
I can see where your coming from Russ and I know it used to happen.

I personally would want to know if theres anything wrong with my car. Part of my job is MOT quality contol, and I would go into orbit If I found any tester letting things slide because they know someone or that person is a regular customer. VOSA coming down on them would only be the start of their problems.

You never know if the next car is undercover or if an enforcment officer will be the next person to walk in. When I was an active tester I was allowed by law to test my own car, but always chose not too, so as I was beyond reproach.

I suppose the question would be if you cut someone slack where would you draw the line? Also testers get in more trouble from VOSA for being too strict than not being strict enough.

Kev

Last edited by tigerchubs; 9th November 2007 at 15:50..
tigerchubs is offline   Reply With Quote