Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th July 2014, 22:11   #1
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 engine problems

Hi all,

I've been having a few issues with my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur as of late and figured this is the best place to go to.

Basically, the engine has a heating problem due to poor water circulation. After numerous trips to a local mechanic who tried whatever he could think of, the situation was stable for a while but has gone bad again. Furthermore, I think the car isn't firing on all cylinders now, and is really lacking in power.

After doing a bit of research I found out that diesel engines in a 75 are better than petrol engines, which is what I have. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine altogether, and was looking for advice on this topic.

Please excuse my lack of mechanical terminology as I am really a newbie at this stuff (only had the car for a year!)

Thanks in advance.
mmirza16993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 22:15   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmirza16993 View Post
Hi all,

I've been having a few issues with my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur as of late and figured this is the best place to go to.

Basically, the engine has a heating problem due to poor water circulation. After numerous trips to a local mechanic who tried whatever he could think of, the situation was stable for a while but has gone bad again. Furthermore, I think the car isn't firing on all cylinders now, and is really lacking in power.

After doing a bit of research I found out that diesel engines in a 75 are better than petrol engines, which is what I have. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine altogether, and was looking for advice on this topic.

Please excuse my lack of mechanical terminology as I am really a newbie at this stuff (only had the car for a year!)

Thanks in advance.
You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course)....

If you search the forums there is a lot of information about thermostats which I think may be the root of your problem.....
Old 31st July 2014, 07:13   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course)....

If you search the forums there is a lot of information about thermostats which I think may be the root of your problem.....
No the diesel is not superior to the petrol, having driven nearly 9000 miles in the past 3 months in the ZT, I got into Frosty this morning took him for a run and what a quiet refined chap he really is

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 12:51   #4
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
You are correct, the Diesels are far superior to the petrols.... (totally unbias of course).....
... Of course you are quite correct when compared to the 1.8 4 Cylinder, but not the V6's....
Old 31st July 2014, 13:00   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
... Of course you are quite correct when compared to the 1.8 4 Cylinder, but not the V6's....
Well not unless you count all the time in the shade at the petrol stations....
Old 30th July 2014, 22:16   #6
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

This thread maybe of some interest to you

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=179408

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 23:29   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

Anything is possible but you will be stripping out and rebuilding shed loads on the car.

If you want a diesel then best go and buy one.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 06:52   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Start by telling us which engine you have, and tell us exactly what problem you are experiencing. Add to that what has been done to rectify it, and it is possible that you will get an intelligent reply.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 08:45   #9
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Start by telling us which engine you have, and tell us exactly what problem you are experiencing. Add to that what has been done to rectify it, and it is possible that you will get an intelligent reply.
Hi kaiser,

I currently have a 1.8L petrol engine in my 2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur

The problem is that the temperature gauge goes very high very easily.

To rectify the problem, the head gasket has been changed, a new fan fitted and a leak fixed in a pipe near the radiator grille.

Thanks again
mmirza16993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 07:09   #10
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

His profile states he has a 1.8
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote