Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2013, 21:56   #1
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Default Are you the driver of all drivers and the best?.

I myself am sure that I would find it very hard to pass the theory test these days what with me being one that passed many moons ago with the examiner showing some "Flash card" signs at the end of the test. I do think that these days the test is a tadge over the top. Your thoughts folks.

Cheers
Tony

Last edited by Villa Villan; 15th August 2013 at 22:02..
Villa Villan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 22:03   #2
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Absolutely not! One of the nice things about still driving is being able to learn and hopefully improve as I go along. I know I wouldn't pass the test now, too many habits acquired over the years...
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 22:58   #3
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I used to be a motorcycle instructor (before theory testing) and have taught many "born again bikers", who were middle aged, car drivers, who were wanting to get a bike licence (for a new toy ).
Oh dear!!
Bring on the theory testing

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 23:03   #4
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

I disagree! I passed my test in 1982 in Moenchengladbach (Germany) in an Air Force landrover. We had to take the German theory test as well as a full English test and that meant it was stricter than the UK test. After we had passed we had to have a mandatory 2 hour drive on the motorway under instruction. In Germany the seat belt law was brought in before the UK, and the police were much less forgiving so would give you a ticket if you so much as got in the car and started it without putting on your seat belt.

I still think that the UK should do more to encourage good driving practice and good driving manners, for instance how many people in the UK follow the zipper rule?
steve811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 23:52   #5
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve811 View Post
... for instance how many people in the UK follow the zipper rule?
I'll freely admit there are times that I don't check mine and sometime later find my fly open ..... but I think that's more to do with old age than my driving ability.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 23:53   #6
Urban Tiger
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 2.5 V6 190

I consider myself to be a good driver but would never be so arrogant as to consider myself the best, just the best that I can be at this time. I have studied Roadcraft - The Police Motorcyclists Handbook and rigorously practised the concepts therein, which I later transferred from bikes to cars.

The theory test was introduced after I passed my motorcycle test (first time pass with zero-errors. I did feel smug that day).

The theory test had been introduced before I took my car test but having a full motorcycle licence meant I was exempt from taking it.

I did finally get to take the theory test prior to taking lessons (and subsequently passing the test) for LGV Cat C (formerly HGV Class II) because different laws apply to this category of vehicle.

The theory test was easy, too easy really, and the driving test took a full hour and is far more difficult than the normal car driving test. It is my opinion based on my own experience of other drivers that the car test should be stepped up to the duration and difficulty of the LGV test. It would whittle out a lot of the bad drivers that endanger us every day.
Urban Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 00:16   #7
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I'm absolutely the best, erm once I can remember where I left my car...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 05:39   #8
rasa
Gets stuck in

bmw 335d e92se and 330d sport e90

Default AA driver awareness

just done as above, the people in the class, god half of them clueless, i was the only one that new the legal limit for tyre tread depth,(1.6mm), also when i passed my test in 1999 i hadd to pass an extended test as i had been naughty, this test was nearly 2 hours long and involved lots more than the ordinary test but dont think i am better than anyone else, except women ha ha , in the classroom on the course we had to say what speeds for what roads etc some of them put 40 mph for a national speed limit sign on a motorway.
Old 16th August 2013, 07:31   #9
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

for me at the age of 77 years young I will have to say I would not pass a test today in saying this I have in the past been long distance lorry driver ,also been driving instructor, but ended up builder bricklayer, I will start in 1954 when I was 18 years old CALL UP yes had to go into the army had never driven before this ,well yes I had but not legally ,wen't into ordnance corps as this is what I wanted to do drive, in the army drove everything they had tanks the lot, upon my discharge was given a pink form to take to Chelmsford town hall , handed it in gave me back my full driving licence ,so no I have never had to pass a test in sieve street ,I no doubt would have done then but not these days.-------GARY

no such thing as theory test in the 50s

Last edited by grandy; 16th August 2013 at 12:14..
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 08:08   #10
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

I class myself as a reasonable driver. No crashes or near misses in 25 years of driving. I'm constantly looking way ahead and aware of my surroundings. However, if I was to take my test again, I'm sure an examiner would find faults somewhere.
On the other hand, I hope this driver is taken off the roads. This happened at our local Tesco last week.
http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/late...gdon_1_2327681
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote