Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2013, 18:24   #1
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Default My thoughts

I have been musing for some time over how to put this. I enjoy belonging to the owners club. I have enjoyed, to a certain extent, attending meetings of owners in various places. I have met one or two people from the forum who are very nice, and seem to me to represent what I imagine the club is all about.
Sadly some people appear to be under some misapprehension about me and my car/reason for belonging to the club.
I am painfully aware that our car is far from the best example of a ZT out there. When we bought her she had a dead battery and all of the breather tubes were fractured. The bodywork is scratched and dented. The inlet manifold has been messed with and needs replacing. We have decided that we want to replace it with a brand new one, despite the expense, because every job we do on the car is done with long life and service in mind, and a new one will provide many years of motoring for us.
The seats are ripped and worn in the usual places, and yes, we are planning to have them reupholstered but again that is a large expense and it will have to wait.
The upgrades I have made thus far have been partly with the help of forum members (to whom I am eternally grateful) and partly with the help of a local mechanic who very kindly loaned me the space I needed to do the biggest job so far, that of replacing the radiator fan with a two speed Kenlowe unit from Jules.
We see the car as a long term investment, with the eventual goal of returning her to brand new condition, or if possible, better than new. The problem is we are trying to do all this on a non-existent budget. The car is parked on the street outside our house, prey to the elements and the local scumbaggery walking past on their way home from getting bladdered. Not to mention idiots in cars with a total lack of spatial awareness when it comes to maneuvering near our car.
I am not too proud to attempt work on the car but I do know my limits. I managed to fit the rear sunblind with a lot of printouts from the how-to and not a few heart stopping moments, not least concerned with whether or not I would be able to put it back together right.
She is a major expense for us and we have had to make sacrifices to keep her on the road. When Sandra was being treated for cancer the car was essential. Many of her clinic appointments would have been inaccessible were it not for the car. We see the car as a member of the family. I will continue to attempt to attend meetings because it is nice to own a car that has a group of people who care about them as much as the owners on here (or at least most of them). If I am an embarrassment or unwelcome I will keep myself to myself.
I admit I feel a little invisible on the forum. I contribute what I can when I can but seldom if ever do I get any feedback on my comments. I was/am planning a 'how-to' on an aspect of upgrading the car that I think I can do but I'm worried I'm just going over old ground or that my efforts will be derided for their amateurishness. In essence, I belong to the club, but in many ways I don't feel like I 'belong'. If you've read this far then thank you for reading, and I apologise for taking up your time.
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:31   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hey don't be embarrassed You appear to have a car in a lot worse condition visually at least, than many that are scrapped for what really are quite minor problems, yet your intentions are to improve it, subject to time and money constraints, to that of a nice good condition motor. Well done that man!

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:32   #3
bse1966
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 ltr Diesel Tourer Silver

Hi don't worry what other people think about your car it's what you think is most important not every one can afford to do thing right away, I know how it fells having to work on a tight budget and the old saying Rome was not build in a day

Just look after yourself and family first then the car good luck
This vehicle was the 3,415th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic (code: MUM) to be made out of 3,958 Zircon Silver Metallic 75 Tourers
bse1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:34   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

A very nice post,& puts your feeling across very wellYou will never be derided over any post that helps other members,remember,everyone started somewhere.Some members have differing senses of humour,& sometimes this comes across differently than was intended when typed,we are not all the same,which is what makes this forum all the more interesting for its diversity.Keep posting,& just enjoy yourself,life's too short
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:34   #5
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

You may be surprised to see there are many others in a similar position.

I desperately want to get mine to a much higher standard, but money is tight and time even more so! Rome wasn't built in a day. I am reasonably content with slow progress as long as I can fix and improve things quicker than they deteriorate!

Don't be disheartened about the forum or the club. You will make friends from meets over time, (just as you will eventually get there with the car). I absolutely encourage you to document what you do to the car, and any how-tos will be appreciated. Yes lots of things have been covered, but every new write up is a valuable resource, people do things in different ways, or spot an easier way to do things, or are just better at taking photos or explaining things.

I know how you feel when you don't get a big response to posts, but for every comment you may depend there are dozens who have read what you have written. Indeed many forum members use this place but never post! Don't let it put you off.

Please don't give up on the car or the forum!!
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:35   #6
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:38   #7
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

I think its great that you restored your and improve it as you go.that is what its all about. You should be proud of your car. Never be embarrasst. Anybody who does not see this is not a true enthusiast. A how to would be great and will be more than appreciated. This saves people alot of money so they can do the work themselves. I think its great and this is what the club is and should be about first and foremost, Keeping the cars on the road and enjoying them .
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:39   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Blimey Dale, you've gone a lot further than me. My car too is scratched, stone chipped, has dirty wheels etc. The best mod was my recent remap. Would be great if the car was spotless and in tip top running order, but I just want to drive it, can't be too bothered about cleaning it. So no, I'm not an 'enthusiast' but I'm keen to figure these cars out and it's true they get under your skin. I do admire the work and hours some members put into their cars, maybe I'll be the same when I retire or have less other things to do. The wife and I are going to our first meet a week on Sunday at Cheddar, looking forward to seeing other owners and their cars. I may 'muck it out' before I go but we're along for the ride mainly.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:46   #9
carlalou
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190 Biomorphic

as long as your car can get you from A to B, who cares what it looks like

at times i dread taking mine out to meet other ones due to them looking amazing and mine not so

but......your intentions are exactly the same as everybody else's, its just they are just at a different stage with there cars then you are now

my car is also part of our family but she will one day look like one of the superb cars also on the forum.

it just takes time and money.

i have found the people on here and at the meets really are little superstars.

in short...with there help and support your half way there

the other half is your time and money

as far as i can see, its another one still on the road. so for that i congratulate you

membership number 001735
carlalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 18:53   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Howie666, I don't know what has gone to make you feel like this. I certainly wish Sandra all the very best. I don't see anything wrong worth being devoted to restoring a car, lots of people do it.
If you are only here to learn, to ask and get advice, so what?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote