Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2019, 11:13   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default any tips for protecting new springs?

I am after some tips for protecting new rear springs as then seem to be prone to snapping at the bottom.

I am contemplating spraying the end rubber with wax oil before fitting and then spraying the first coil or two

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 13:02   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am after some tips for protecting new rear springs as then seem to be prone to snapping at the bottom.

I am contemplating spraying the end rubber with wax oil before fitting and then spraying the first coil or two

macafee2
The springs should come with a plastic coating on them, wax then with grease & for more protection you could always add some conduit, which can be taken off for the MOT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+15mm&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conduit-S...Tigl32cgmBNR8g

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 17:55   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Good old coatings on items that simply used to get painted. The coil springs in varied states presented at MOT's is a concern as the great powder coating gets chipped, and the water ingress eats away behind the coating rendering the coating like pork crackling, as this peels away the corrosion is clear to see.
We cannot beat this issue, but a good coating of grease is a policy that I adopt, also there needs to be a good drain away for water to escape from the insulators especially on the rears. Once the coating is chipped, it's only a matter of time really before the spring lets go, depends how unlucky you are.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 18:10   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It doesn't matter very much if you paint them or not. They are very unlikely to rust away.

What makes them break is very cold weather usually.

The steel can get very brittle and just snap.

Some have been reported as breaking whilst parked on a driveway overnight. A sudden sharp drop in temperature seems to make them snap.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 19:36   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It doesn't matter very much if you paint them or not. They are very unlikely to rust away.

What makes them break is very cold weather usually.

The steel can get very brittle and just snap.

Some have been reported as breaking whilst parked on a driveway overnight. A sudden sharp drop in temperature seems to make them snap.---
Steel of any reasonable quality (let alone spring steel) will not alter state nor nature under the range of 'low' ambient temperatures we encounter in the British Isles nor usually in places like Siberia in January.
I would suggest that the phenomenum often reported here in relation to "..they snap when it's cold" is likely due to stress fractures that have developed in the steel (sometimes these originate at sites where there is local corrosion i.e. a sharp change of cross-section) and attract moisture that freezes at 3C or lower temperatures which then, as ice, expands and then acts as a high pressure 'wedge/wedges' to migrate the fractures to ultimate material failure.
Torsion of springs under these circumstances i.e. compression with movement induced by the vehicle just exacerbate the stress situation.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 20:20   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Taken from an AA survey of spring fracture numbers across the UK.

Unfortunately, the survey was withdrawn from their website three or four of years back.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 21:47   #7
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Good old coatings on items that simply used to get painted. The coil springs in varied states presented at MOT's is a concern as the great powder coating gets chipped, and the water ingress eats away behind the coating rendering the coating like pork crackling, as this peels away the corrosion is clear to see.
We cannot beat this issue, but a good coating of grease is a policy that I adopt, also there needs to be a good drain away for water to escape from the insulators especially on the rears. Once the coating is chipped, it's only a matter of time really before the spring lets go, depends how unlucky you are.
What about removing the coating so that the wkole spring is exposed to the elements. Sure it will rust, but over the whole surface, not at a concentrated point. Rover P4 front springs get all rusty like this, never known one of these break.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 22:00   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

What I tend to do is inspect the spring, an d if I find any splitting of the powder coating, I remove it back to sound stuff, eliminating the corrosion cell, and after derusting and treatment, I paint the affected area.

In answer to the original question, nothing you apply over powder coated coil springs will be an effective rust preventative.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

never had a spring snap on any other car so why do Rover 75's suffer from this problem?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:02   #10
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I had both rears snap and was told by an engineer that it's because of the way the ends have been cut - it causes a stress fracture further up the spring which then goes bang in cold weather. That's why they always break in the same place.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote