Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2013, 21:58   #41
joesoap1

rover 75

1 we could start rebuilding all the skill centres that were closed and sold off in the 80,s which resulted in nobody learning the trades, bricklaying, plastering, plumbing, welding etc.

2 schools should have a things you should know & common sense class, most kids don't even know how to change a plug,

3 bring back yts for school leavers if unemployed (so they can actually learn something )

4 bring back some sort of national service so that the youth of today will learn respect not only for their self's but for others too (this really should be number one )

5 out of the eu,

6 bring back borstals & detention centers for the short sharp shock

7 schools & parents need to take responsibility for the youth of to-day (bring back the cane, slipper )

These are some of the things i would do, & as for do gooders
joesoap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 21:59   #42
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
that comment is noted
I'm not looking forward to the day of judgement ..... I doubt I would like it up me.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 21:59   #43
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSpencer View Post
I don't think it would ..... surely there's no right not to work ..... what's the world coming to? Harrumph!
Did you read what I wrote Fred or do you not have a witch hunt for 'scroungers'. Live in my head for a day and you would feel lucky to be you, with respect
Old 29th August 2013, 22:28   #44
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesoap1 View Post
1 we could start rebuilding all the skill centres that were closed and sold off in the 80,s which resulted in nobody learning the trades, bricklaying, plastering, plumbing, welding etc.
I understand where you're coming from with this, although I have seen something of this type of establishment on TV recently. A good idea but comes at a cost and we need a solution for that.

Quote:
2 schools should have a things you should know & common sense class, most kids don't even know how to change a plug,
I think kids would appreciate learning hands on practical things so a good idea. There shouldn't be a great deal of cost involved either.

Quote:
3 bring back yts for school leavers if unemployed (so they can actually learn something )
An expansion of your previous point but more in-depth. Limited hours on the understanding that it has to be useful training and not cheap labour. Could qualify for benefits at apprentice rates.

Quote:
4 bring back some sort of national service so that the youth of today will learn respect not only for their self's but for others too (this really should be number one )
Would that only apply to the unemployed or to everyone? It would be a huge cost if the latter.

Quote:
5 out of the eu,
How would this benefit the country? Might it not make some things worse?

Quote:
6 bring back borstals & detention centers for the short sharp shock
Are you not concerned this could end up as a traing camp for criminals? Current 'thinking' is that is the case in prison these days.

Quote:
7 schools & parents need to take responsibility for the youth of to-day (bring back the cane, slipper )
Would you cane and slipper the teachers and parents, then?

Quote:
These are some of the things i would do, & as for do gooders
Surely the people who would run and work in the schemes you have suggested would be 'do-gooders'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Did you read what I wrote Fred or do you not have a witch hunt for 'scroungers'. Live in my head for a day and you would feel lucky to be you, with respect
I'm afraid you've lost me, Jay. What you've quoted from me was tongue in cheek to George. There isn't a tongue in cheek smiley so I put a wink on the end.

And as for me having a witch hunt against scroungers, well, I don't see how anyone could think that of me given what I've posted on here, if that's what you mean.

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th August 2013 at 00:31.. Reason: consecutive posts
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 19:28   #45
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

The biggest share, by a long way, goes on pensions, then income support for low paid people in work, then the disabled. The NHS is its own entity but, of course, another biggie.
At least those being paid a pension have earned it and paid into the system - Too be honest, I don't really know what arrangements are made for those who have never paid into it.

During the depression, the US implemented big schemes like the Hoover Dam to give people something to do. We maybe have no need for similar, but there are plenty of minor jobs locally which could occupy some of those claiming for at least a few hours a week, without putting anyone out of a full time job. Sitting about doing nothing isn't good for anyone.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 19:53   #46
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

I read somewhere the annual Benefits bill is £91 bn Per Year.

I also read somewhere that there are 600,000 Motability Cars in the UK.

Take into account the price range of these Cars - £8k to £20k - We can then look at an average price, so that would be £14k.

£14k x 600,000 Cars = £8400,000,000

Then after 3 Years these Cars are sold for a few Thousand (Less than half the value normally) which goes back to the Motability Scheme (From what I understand) - So technically all at a loss

---------------------------------

Then consider:

How much has the War in Iraq / Afghanistan cost the UK?

How many billions have we paid to the EU just for the privilige of being told how to run our Country?

How many billions have we funded in Aid, only to be used by Corrupt Gov't of that Country?

Whilst I hate seeing those who choose Benefits as a Lifestyle, I also hate seeing my hard earned Taxes being sent to places that shouldn't get it.........

Also, the Media have a great time working hand in hand with the Gov't slagging off Benefits Claimants, so we create a Social divide and all fall in love with Cameron the Benefits slasher, meanwhile Cameron is selling our Souls to the Highest bidders. We need to pay attention to what is going on behind the Scenes, not what the latest Gov't driven Media Frenzy is....
Old 30th August 2013, 21:21   #47
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:

I'm afraid you've lost me, Jay. What you've quoted from me was tongue in cheek to George. There isn't a tongue in cheek smiley so I put a wink on the end.

And as for me having a witch hunt against scroungers, well, I don't see how anyone could think that of me given what I've posted on here, if that's what you mean.
Sorry Fred, I miss read what you had written George can still have some tablets if he likes
Old 30th August 2013, 22:15   #48
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Sorry Fred, I miss read what you had written George can still have some tablets if he likes
What ya got jay ????.

Uppers . Downers. Or even sidewayers....
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 22:16   #49
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

An expansion of your previous point but more in-depth. Limited hours on the understanding that it has to be useful training and not cheap labour. Could qualify for benefits at apprentice rates.
The problem with that at the moment, is the minimum wage. I served a proper apprenticeship in the early 1960's. I was paid little more than pocket money when I started and whilst I learned to be useful - I could have got other jobs earning much more, but I chose an apprenticeship. Modern kids would not do it, few understand investing in their future.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 22:26   #50
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The problem with that at the moment, is the minimum wage. I served a proper apprenticeship in the early 1960's. I was paid little more than pocket money when I started and whilst I learned to be useful - I could have got other jobs earning much more, but I chose an apprenticeship. Modern kids would not do it, few understand investing in their future.
Actually, that's not quite true, there are about 35 school leavers competing for one apprenticeship.

And that's using the term apprenticeship loosely, I have been going through it with my son, 17, amazing how many apprenticeships there are in "business admin". for real apprenticeships, like mechanic, plumbing, sparky etc, I would say it must be more like 50 candidates to 1 position

Current rate for a 40 hour week seems to be about £100 a week, compared to mine that I did in joinery at £35 a week some 24 years ago.

I also recall, when I did mine, I had 7 companies I could choose to work for, so it was more like 1 candidate to 7 jobs, rather than 35 candidates to 1 job as it is today.

Simon