Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2013, 20:37   #141
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

You can buy a neglected dog of a V8 cheaply enough but it's going to cost you dear to restore it up to scratch.
Personally I wouldn't buy a neglected example as they usually cost more in the long run than buying a mint cared for one

Neglected cars very rarely feel as good as a preserved low mileage model in original condition no matter how much dosh you throw at them.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:06   #142
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Well that's kind of answered that question then chaps.

Cheers
Tony
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:26   #143
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa Villan View Post
Well that's kind of answered that question then chaps.

Cheers
Tony
So, is the conclusion that they only appear expensive to people who are looking to spend less money than they are worth, don't appreciate quality/rarity or like little Skoda's?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:32   #144
Villa Villan

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
So, is the conclusion that they only appear expensive to people who are looking to spend less money than they are worth, don't appreciate quality/rarity or like little Skoda's?
It was all as clear as mud fella.

Cheers
Tony

Last edited by Villa Villan; 22nd July 2013 at 22:13.. Reason: I missed a T. :-)
Villa Villan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:36   #145
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
The simple answer is that they are expensive cheap cars, better than others that aren't as good but worse than those that are better ..... if I've understood all the previous posts.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:13   #146
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic_username View Post
Out of interest, how much does a supercharger cost and what are the after-fitting performance figures like? Is the 0-60 time into the 5's?
The one and only Roush fitted car ( ZT-T ) was officially quoted (if my memory serves) by Nic (Rincewind) at 4.7sec 0-60 and 179 mph.
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:18   #147
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Again you twist and turn what i said to fit your world view. I didnt say the skoda was better, i said it didnt have the quality issues all our cars have, at least its seats dont fall apart. The ZT, NO ZT V8 or 1.8 has the build quality of the Germans. Thinking otherwise is delusional, its a realistic view, unpopular on here maybe, but a fact nonetheless.

I still maintain that the price is being inflated by owners holding on to them and placing their own value on them when selling, rather than the price really reflecting what they are worth to the general population in a free market. When an owner actually does genuinely want to sell one the price seems more reasonable and realistic.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 23rd July 2013 at 11:02..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:04   #148
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Is it not the case that anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Do we all not put a value on things & if something is more than we're willing to pay we don't buy it.

Regards

Paul
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:40   #149
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

To a degree, but what's happening here, and to some other cars as well is that the owners over value them, and try to sell them for silly money because another one sold for that at some point. I've seen 8k V8s that haven't sold after 6 months and multiple relistings. Clearly it's not worth it, but because another owner got lucky this owner won't sell for less.

These owner are keeping the prices high by not selling to the open market. Most people can't and don't try to sell a car for months and months without getting the hint.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:47   #150
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
To a degree, but what's happening here, and to some other cars as well is that the owners over value them, and try to sell them for silly money because another one sold for that at some point. I've seen 8k V8s that haven't sold after 6 months and multiple relistings. Clearly it's not worth it, but because another owner got lucky this owner won't sell for less.

These owner are keeping the prices high by not selling to the open market. Most people can't and don't try to sell a car for months and months without getting the hint.
Surely that is basic supply and demand economics! Everyone has their price and if an offer is lower maybe it isn't worth it to them to accept that offer as they would rather keep the car! Surely this drives the sale of most things not just cars.

Your comment is a bit like saying everyone should just bung their car/house whatever on ebay no reserve and see what happens you are bound to sell anything if it is cheap enough. Nothing wrong with waiting for the value you want to leave you satisfied when you have lost a great unique car.

The numbers for sale speak volumes to me, there are/were 883 of them and there is always very few for sale even allowing for the low numbers.

I know of other cars that are rarer but are more readily available, this is why the V8 is higher priced than others 75/ZTs.

Build quality is not the issue of course, you don't buy a MGA and moan about build quality, it is the uniqueness and character that 'fund' the prices, after all half the fun is tinkering and getting things sorted.

Whatever the price of the V8, if you like it you wont go far wrong.
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote