Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2009, 11:09   #1
mikerajjers

None at the moment

Default New to MG/Rover - please advise, such a gorgeous car!!

Hi all,
I was at Stansted airport a few weeks back and saw a car that I immediately thought... 'that looks gorgeous' and after some internet browsing found it is an MG ZT. As I have been looking to replace my current car (Peugeot 206) for something bigger and a bit more powerful I am pretty sure I know what car I'd like - the ZT. However, I am completely new to the MG/Rover brand and have no idea as to the reliability or quality of the cars, or how easy/difficult it is to obtain parts for the future and thus of repair costs. Please could you advise me/reassure me on this topic? I have found some lovely cars on autotrader from £3500 to around £5000 from 2004/5, which seem very good value for money for the car they are... is there a reason as to why they are so much cheaper than other similar spec brands?

And finally, I was reading a recent post earlier about young people buying MGs... I am 21 and the ZT is very appealing... and the 160bhp version will set me back 1round £550 per year to insure as a named driver , which is not much different to a tiny Peugeot 206. I am definitely not a boyracer and wouldn't 'chav' up the ZT... I don't think It can be made to look much better than it already is.

I look forward to your comments/advice/pointer

Thanks

Michal
mikerajjers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 12:09   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi Michal and welcome to the forums,

The MG ZT is a fantastic car and i am sure you'll love owning one.

If you post up any cars that your interested in i am sure you will get a few opinions on it.

There are loads to read on here that should help ease your fears about the availability of parts.

Any questions feel free to post up

Happy Hunting
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 12:51   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the best forum on the net

As Kandyman says let us know what you are looking at and where you are, more than likely somebody will be close by and may even have a look with or for you

Typical things to look out for are very heavy clutch or a very low biting point on a manual, could be a sign of trouble and not cheap to repair.

Have a read on here for the sequence of events with the cooling fan, they are two or three speed so just because you heard it run does not mean its 100%.

Parts are really not an issue with well over 90% off the shelf and all but the odd one or two available within a few days.

Many of our cars are coming up to and over 10 yr old now and still going strong. As you have noted lot of car for the money, yes they have their faults but no more than any other car on the market.

The Rover 75/ZT is one of the best kept secrets around, don't go telling everybody

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 13:01   #4
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerajjers View Post
is there a reason as to why they are so much cheaper than other similar spec brands?

Michal
to many buyer think as its a Rover you can't get parts, so it keeps the price down. If only they would ask or look into them like you have they would find out what a great car the 75/zt are.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 14:34   #5
tonygardner
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer connie

is there a reason as to why they are so much cheaper than other similar spec brands

i had a look on ebay last night , i could not beleave how much people wanted for there 75 zt`s ,some on there same spec as mine wanted anywhere from £6000 to £8000 i payed £5300 back in feb this year, that was from a non rover main dealer , i thought at that price it was a little over the top , perhaps prices are rising
tonygardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 16:24   #6
johnnyallan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkwood View Post
is there a reason as to why they are so much cheaper than other similar spec brands

i had a look on ebay last night , i could not beleave how much people wanted for there 75 zt`s ,some on there same spec as mine wanted anywhere from £6000 to £8000 i payed £5300 back in feb this year, that was from a non rover main dealer , i thought at that price it was a little over the top , perhaps prices are rising

go on uk.msn.com look on there used cars, you will be surprised at what you can get if your willing to travel a little
johnnyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 16:25   #7
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Have a 160 V6 myself and cant recemmend it enough. Sore on the petrol mind you but ive had it over 45mpg at sensible speeds, but usually 35mpg ish on 70mph+ motorway speeds. Doesnt help its a V6 so you gotta boot it to enjoy it rumble!

If going for the 1.8T 160 (again a good motor, better mpg than V6 160), only issue is to check if the head gasket has been changed, if its gone once, it may go again unless fixed properly with an uprated gasket.

The 160 V6, well you get a rattle from under the engine ("inlet manifold kv6" searches will explain all), clutch and flywheel is dam expensive (can be up to £800 depending on parts and fitting where you go etc) as its dual mass flywheel, so check that.

Otherwise, the front bumper on them always sits slightly wierd, so dont be put off by that, again, people here have solutions to fix how it sits under the bonnet.

Shop around, test drive a few, and if I was you, test drive as many engines as you can, 160 v6, a 160 1.8T and a 190. Everyday normal driving the is so little between the V6 160 and 190, even until 90ish they are almost identicle.

And welcome!
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 17:23   #8
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerajjers View Post
Hi all,
I was at Stansted airport a few weeks back and saw a car that I immediately thought... 'that looks gorgeous' and after some internet browsing found it is an MG ZT. As I have been looking to replace my current car (Peugeot 206) for something bigger and a bit more powerful I am pretty sure I know what car I'd like - the ZT. However, I am completely new to the MG/Rover brand and have no idea as to the reliability or quality of the cars, or how easy/difficult it is to obtain parts for the future and thus of repair costs. Please could you advise me/reassure me on this topic? I have found some lovely cars on autotrader from £3500 to around £5000 from 2004/5, which seem very good value for money for the car they are... is there a reason as to why they are so much cheaper than other similar spec brands?

And finally, I was reading a recent post earlier about young people buying MGs... I am 21 and the ZT is very appealing... and the 160bhp version will set me back 1round £550 per year to insure as a named driver , which is not much different to a tiny Peugeot 206. I am definitely not a boyracer and wouldn't 'chav' up the ZT... I don't think It can be made to look much better than it already is.

I look forward to your comments/advice/pointer

Thanks

Michal
You mention Stansted Airport, are you in Essex or nearby? If you want to try a ZT let me know. It's not for sale but if you want to try one out send a pm
Dave PS if it was 8th July and the ZT was Grey it was mine!

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!

Last edited by Dave Goody; 1st August 2009 at 17:25.. Reason: added detail
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 17:54   #9
mikerajjers

None at the moment

Default Thanks for such a warm welcome... here are two cars I am thinking of

Thank you for such a warm welcome, you've definitely re-assured me the ZT is a great car and that you're a friendly bunch . The car I saw at Stansted was a blue one, very nice indeed. I live in Bedford but spend most of the year either up in Scotland at university or over in Slovakia where I am originally from. I'd definitely love to try a few ZTs before buying, but here are two I have found, which look very appealing, what do you all think? Some of you have mentioned that you are willing to have a look with me, does anyone live nearby?

1st car (
7 photos
Technical Data
Play slideshow

2005 05 Reg MG ZT 1.8 T 160 + (trade)

S Armstrong Car Sales
  • 40,000 miles
  • Manual
  • Blue
  • Petrol
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 40,000 miles, Metallic Blue. Air conditioning, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking, Drivers airbag, Solid Paint, Alarm,

£3,995

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MG+ZT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-19-40-240-4294966775-4294966777/search.action?&sort=p_VehiclePrice|1&postcode=mk43 +8gq&radius=1500&showMoreOptions=&page=2&googleQue ry=MG%20ZT%20for%20sale&adtype=autotrader-uk

2nd car
6 photos
Technical Data

2005 MG ZT 1.8T 160+ 4dr (private)

• 31,000 miles
  • Manual
  • Silver
  • Petrol
31,000 miles, 4 Door Saloon, Silver, Petrol, Manual, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, PAS, Alarm/Immobiliser, 18 inch Alloy wheels, Audio Remote Control, Body Coloured Bumpers, Passenger Airbag,

£3,550
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MG+ZT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-19-40-240-4294966775-4294966777/search.action?&sort=p_VehiclePrice|1&postcode=mk43 +8gq&radius=1500&showMoreOptions=&page=3&googleQue ry=MG%20ZT%20for%20sale&adtype=autotrader-uk

Thanks very much once again

Michal
mikerajjers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 21:50   #10
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Hello Michal - it's really nice to have a member from Slovakia (originally).

You should take your time and look for a low mileage car. For example, this Mk1 75 sold a couple of weeks ago in July 2009. It was advertised at £4,500 (by Bristol Jaguar) and had only 12,005 miles on the clock.

It might not be the ZT you're looking for but this is a seriously pretty car. If I didn't already have one I'd have bought it myself!

Anyway - wait til you find a really nice one and you can't go wrong.

(To the mods - hope posting this pic isn't breach of copyright)
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote