Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th September 2016, 21:22   #1
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default ZT-T V6 - Brake drag after new front pads and discs

Hi foiks.

Bit of an odd one today...changed the front pads and discs (Pagid from ECP) on the ZT-T at the weekend and all went OK...sliders free and regreased after cleaning, caliper pistons retracted without too much hassle and then able to be retracted by thumb pressure on the pads. carriers wire brushed and Ceratec grease on the mounting lugs.

All went back together and seemed fine...swept area looked nice and even on the outside after a couple of miles.

Had to remove some brake fluid to retract the pistons as the reservoir was near full and ended up on the full mark after the job.

So...50 odd miles today and I thought at times I could smell brakes - by the time I got back boy were the fronts warm...even the alloys were very hot! Heat coming off the rears as well and I thought pads had been dragging on the fronts and I'd been braking with the rears only properly down the last big hill.

Had to get the hose and cool everything down with the mist spray as I was a bit concerned.

So, strip it all back down and check...all seemed OK once cool, everything moving and pistons retracted OK again. inner swept area of disc looked fine.

BUT...

The reservoir was much fuller now and somewhat nearer the top of the filler neck...and then I wondered if there was too much in there or heat had caused fluid expansion and expansion into the neck of the reservoid could have meant there was no room for fluid return after application of brakes - pistons stay out, everything heats up, expands and makes the whole system 'lock' hydraulically and thus keep the brakes slightly applied...perhaps the rears as well as the fronts?

So I drained some fluid off, put it all back together and went for a drive and coasted to a stop after some 50-60 mph roads without braking...brakes were cold. Some fierce braking from speed got things warm but not as hot as earlier. Perhaps a brake bleed and thus fluid change may be prudent in case everything got too hot. But at no time did the brakes feel like they were fading or there was any vapour in the hydraulics as the pedal was good...just dragging and hot, hot, hot.

So, can an overfull reservoir create hydraulic conditions that make brakes drag...I guess my answer appears to be yes (unless it was a combination of things but I don't think it was).

These guys seem to think an overfull reservoir does it:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/techtalk/how...ing-brake-drag

Any thoughts folks?

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 21:29   #2
Davey1991
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Over filling is only normally a problem if the water content of the brake fluid is high, brake fluid is designed not to expand but I guess this is inevitable to some degree with it being a liquid. This is the reason manufacturers recommend brake fluid changes along with corrosion prevention.

If you have reasonably new brake fluid then ignore me haha.
Davey1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 21:30   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have never seen an overfull reservoir cause an issue?!?
Old 13th September 2016, 21:31   #4
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Ah...good question...no idea how old the fluid is to be honest!

Hmmm...to the brake bleeding kit Batman!
Old 13th September 2016, 21:33   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
would there be a hydraulic lock issue if there was no head of air above the fluid...not allowing the pads to back off?
Old 13th September 2016, 21:34   #6
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That's what I thought but I'm at a loss to explain it as nothing else seemed to be the cause. Also, having the rears hot made me think the whole brake circuit was slightly pressurised causing them to lightly drag.

By the time I checked the reservoir things had cooled down and perhaps if expansion was an issue the level had fallen?

Hmmm...is the reservoir cap definitely vented on the car?
Old 13th September 2016, 21:36   #7
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
would there be a hydraulic lock issue if there was no head of air above the fluid...not allowing the pads to back off?
And that is my thinking Pete..no space to let the pistons pop back away from the discs.
Old 13th September 2016, 21:40   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjonts View Post
And that is my thinking Pete..no space to let the pistons pop back away from the discs.
i dont think they ever back away as such, more just reduced friction to next to zero...

my nee brakes and pads had a bedding in layer... They smoked a tad for the first day but are fine now...
be carefull spraying water as you will cool one side rapidly and may cause warping...
Old 13th September 2016, 21:49   #9
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
i dont think they ever back away as such, more just reduced friction to next to zero...

my nee brakes and pads had a bedding in layer... They smoked a tad for the first day but are fine now...
be carefull spraying water as you will cool one side rapidly and may cause warping...
Thanks Pete. The Pagid discs have the silver anti-rust coating that comes off after a very short distance and a few applications of the brakes.

There was quite a sizzle and some steam when the water got on there. Seems OK on the anchors now, no pulsing or weirdness. Worried that the hot disc sat next to the pad once I'd parked up might create the 'sticky patch' on the disc that feels like it's warped. So thought just cool it down!
Old 14th September 2016, 07:45   #10
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
It's not a sealed system - otherwise if you opened a bleed nipple with the cap on nothing would happen.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote