Notices

Old 30th August 2017, 20:00   #41
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post

I can see your point tho, at the same time it can be possible as when I did tech at first they didn't want too take me on till a course tutor took me in despite the lack of GCSE's.

Mainly because he was the same as me no GCSE's at all, just given an Opportunity and he proved himself.
I totally agree with you, a lot of people probably think the same, and this course tutor you speak of, was willing to give you the opportunity. If only there was more of this, there would be a lot more skilled people in life, but sadly the opportunities don't come around often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenicks View Post
I couldn't agree more Rich, the system is a lot of rollocks in my opinion. Sometimes life experience is far more important than a piece of paper .
Steve, this is the argument we unqualified folks try to put forward. I left school , like Jay, with just CSEs, as when i was doing exams, there ws no proper revision techniques, it was just" read over the work you have done". Last year my daughter left school with 3 A levels, and about 6 high grade GCSEs, but they were given exam papers from a couple of years back ,as their revision, so she had a good idea of how to do the paper when the time came. If I had been given my chance at 16/17, I could have progressed into the job I dearly wanted to do. Same with the Mrs, she has so much to give, and so much enthusiasm , but she doesn't have a degree, so thats it! end of story, unacceptable candidate, yet they are so short of teachers, the govt is on about fast tracking ex services personnel into teacher training. How is that fair? they have no experience of a school environment, but can be accepted for the job, yet someone with experience, who knows the system, knows how to deal with kids,but has no scroll and cap and gown, cant. Madness.

Dave sorry for the hijack, but similar situation I feel, you have virtually everything behind you, in terms of fitness, discipline,and experience,,but because you haven't got the right exam grades, they reject you.
Old 31st August 2017, 16:49   #42
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I totally agree with you, a lot of people probably think the same, and this course tutor you speak of, was willing to give you the opportunity. If only there was more of this, there would be a lot more skilled people in life, but sadly the opportunities don't come around often.
Steve, this is the argument we unqualified folks try to put forward. I left school , like Jay, with just CSEs, as when i was doing exams, there ws no proper revision techniques, it was just" read over the work you have done". Last year my daughter left school with 3 A levels, and about 6 high grade GCSEs, but they were given exam papers from a couple of years back ,as their revision, so she had a good idea of how to do the paper when the time came. If I had been given my chance at 16/17, I could have progressed into the job I dearly wanted to do. Same with the Mrs, she has so much to give, and so much enthusiasm , but she doesn't have a degree, so thats it! end of story, unacceptable candidate, yet they are so short of teachers, the govt is on about fast tracking ex services personnel into teacher training. How is that fair? they have no experience of a school environment, but can be accepted for the job, yet someone with experience, who knows the system, knows how to deal with kids,but has no scroll and cap and gown, cant. Madness.

Dave sorry for the hijack, but similar situation I feel, you have virtually everything behind you, in terms of fitness, discipline,and experience,,but because you haven't got the right exam grades, they reject you.
It is an interesting topic really. Opportunities given and the stupid 'academic only' way schools and further eduction has become. As a teacher myself who helps kids with additional support needs it is a real interest. Perhaps radical but I have always had the belief that nobody should be allowed to teach until they have worked outside education for at least a few years. Difficult to do perhaps but would certainly help with 'real world' realism. I started when 30 and I firmly believe it gave me a better grounding than ......Primary School then Secondary School then teacher training then teach....often back in the schools they went to!

How we allowed the drift away from proper apprentiships in this country is beyond me. Nuts!
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 17:01   #43
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
The govt is on about fast tracking ex services personnel into teacher training. How is that fair? they have no experience of a school environment. Madness.
I could be wrong but I think experience of a school environment will be just one of the requirements for entry into any of the military options.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 17:12   #44
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Apparently not specifically that Steve, but my wife informs me, there are certain skills and qualifications required, it's not just a case of , retire from HM forces and start teacher training. . There hasn't been many have taken the opportunity though.
Old 31st August 2017, 22:25   #45
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Sent this too the workshop departmenat.

Checked my emails now and been told too send the email too the workshop lads and they can help me out.

This is what I sent.

Good evening.

I phoned the tank museum yesterday asking if they had any training courses that I can do too help get into the REME.
I'm currently Joining the army, My first option which is the REME as a vehicle mechanic, well due too lack of GCSE's, they don't take me on.
But have got other options open as the army application is still on going.

Still trying to get into my first option as that is where my heart is set on.
I've got experience with automotive world.

I've got a NVQ level 2 heavy and light vehicle Maintence and engineering when I was college in 2010-2012

I was wondering Is any possibility there's a course that I can do too gain the qualifications and hands on experience with armoured vehicles at the museum .
Prove too the REME despite my lack of GCSE's I've got the experience and a certificate too show too them, I have got the ability too learn.

I'm from North Wales and willing too travel and volunteer at the museum and help anyway I can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Kind regards

David Evans.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 22:29   #46
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:

Hiya Rich yeah he gave me a shot fair play and afterwards I came out with distinctions and merits in my courses.

If Terry my course Tutor wasn't there, then I reckon I wouldn't have got in at all you know I was luck there or I would have too have waited for a year.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:36   #47
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Best of luck.
It's frustrating when experience seems to count for nothing

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 13:14   #48
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
When you did your ground crew work how did you find it and also is there any engineering involved? Like taking helicopter apart and reassembling it that kind of thing. Or is just primary on weapon load outs and refuelling as that's my 2nd option in the Army Air Corp?
It would be interesting to know for anyone considering the same.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 16:55   #49
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Some of the best TV engineers I worked with had no City & Guilds and nothing from school. They had a passion for Radio & TV and electronics in general so went on the Government training schemes that were available in the 70's & 80's. I wonder where they are now that my trade is gone cos folks don't understand "repair" and just chuck things out.
No doubt they drive taxis or stack shelves in Tesco...... shocking country we live in.
Old 7th September 2017, 19:20   #50
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Some of the best TV engineers I worked with had no City & Guilds and nothing from school. They had a passion for Radio & TV and electronics in general so went on the Government training schemes that were available in the 70's & 80's. I wonder where they are now that my trade is gone cos folks don't understand "repair" and just chuck things out.
No doubt they drive taxis or stack shelves in Tesco...... shocking country we live in.
Or drive coaches and walk the streets cleaning people's properties