Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2012, 13:58   #1
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts
Default Caravan (or car) Battery Charger

Just been in my local Lidl - they're selling intelligent/automatic battery chargers for £14.99. Brilliant for attaching to the caravan battery and leaving it on throughout the Winter. Bought one, then got dragged into Aldi by SWMBO - and they're selling virtually identical chargers a £1 cheaper !
Whichever - absolute bargain
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:03   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
Just been in my local Lidl - they're selling intelligent/automatic battery chargers for £14.99. Brilliant for attaching to the caravan battery and leaving it on throughout the Winter. Bought one, then got dragged into Aldi by SWMBO - and they're selling virtually identical chargers a £1 cheaper !
I have a few of them and very good they are too. I leave the caravan battery on charge on its own built in PSU/ charger, but occaisionally give it a full boost on the Aldi one. I have another as a permanent charger for the car, when it stands unused in the garage for an extended period - it is bolted to a beam, with a lighter plug ready to just plug into a socket.

They are reputed to be a copy of a £60 charger.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 12th October 2012 at 14:38..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:13   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I just disconnect the caravan battery,when its not in use,can't leave it on charge,as it stays in a storage compound ,when not being used.
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:22   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
A word of warning - These type of chargers stop charging if mains is lost. You need to repress the button, to restart them, but at least they don't discharge the battery while mains is off - unlike some.

I had a type of charger which did discharge the battery as a 'maintainer' on the bike. One winter someone must have turned the socket off and it went unoticed for several weeks, which wrecked the battery..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:52   #5
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have a few of them and very good they are too. I leave the caravan battery on charge on its own built in PSU/ charger, but occaisionally give it a full boost on the Aldi one. I have another as a permanent charger for the car, when it stands unused in the garage for an extended period - it is bolted to a beam, with a lighter plug ready to just plug into a socket.

They are reputed to be a copy of a £60 charger.
They a supposedly a copy of the CTEK conditioners, but owning both I can tell you they are not, but still a steal for less than £15.
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 18:33   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I just disconnect the caravan battery,when its not in use,can't leave it on charge,as it stays in a storage compound ,when not being used.
That will reduce the batteries working life.

However if the storage compound is open to sunshine then a solar charger will keep it in good condition throughout the winter.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 21:27   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
That will reduce the batteries working life.

However if the storage compound is open to sunshine then a solar charger will keep it in good condition throughout the winter.
I hear what you're saying Colvert ,but it stays in the compound for months at a time,and once it goes away,I have to give 24hours notice ,to have it brought out so it's not practical to leave it connected ,as it will go flat anyway.

Last edited by RPWC; 10th January 2013 at 18:09..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:45   #8
cargocar
Gets stuck in

rover 75 tourer auto 2001

Cant you put the battery in the shed with a solar charger?
cargocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 01:10   #9
robmac
Loves to post

2004 rover 75 CONNOISSEUR cdti

these didlidi chargers are excellent..i use one to charge and maintain my caravan battery in situ..highly recommend them to anyone.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote