Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2018, 22:28   #1
salop75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conn SE Saloon Auto

Default Engine cuts out, Fuse 1 blows, odd buzzing noise...

Hi,

This is an odd one and has kept my lovely v6 auto 75 off of the road for over a month now.

My 75 seemed to develop an intermittent fault all of a sudden.

The engine will just die. It has happened on straight roads at around 60-70mph, but more often than not it seems to die on roundabouts.

When the engine looses power the car wont re-start as Fuse 1 (underbonnet) blows.

What i've noticed is when this occurs there is a loud constant buzzing sound(sounds like a building door entry buzzer sound) from the area just below the starter motor. By the side of a busy road it's hard to pinpoint but the noise appears to be emanating from the front cover of the autobox.

The buzzing sound can be made to stop by turning the ignition off, and sometimes it does not restart, other times it returns with the ignition turned on.

The buzzing can be made to stop by pulling Fuse 2 (underbonnet).

I wonder if fuse 1 or fuse 2 covers any autobox functions?

One other thing, the battery died, completely drained.... Again I wonder if this relates to the buzzing sound - could a solenoid be failing, causing the engine to cut-out and be acting as a parasitic drain?

I'm at a total loss as to what the cause of the problem could be, so i'm interested to hear any thoughts or opinions on the problem?

Cheers, John
salop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 22:51   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

It sounds like the starter motor is engaging and staying engaged if there's a relay attached to this I check the relay for sticky contacts and I would also check the underside of the fusebox for moisture.

You can then check the main wiring harness over the passenger side wheel arch by removing the wing and checking the wiring is not waterlogged or corroded
Old 10th June 2018, 05:37   #3
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I ran into a buzzing when shutting down my KV6.
It turned out that the power VIS motor had stripped it's gear and it wasn't reaching it's limit switch. Easily fixed.
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 10:02   #4
salop75
Avid contributor

It sounds like the noise is coming from the starter motor area of the engine.

I’ll take the car out for a spin again this evening, in a local carpark where it can cut-out and not inconvenience other road users.

If I can catch it making the buzzing sound i’ll see if disconnecting the small 12v lead to the starter soleniod cuts out the noise.

I wonder if the fault could relate to the EWS?
Old 10th June 2018, 10:59   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

You can buy a starter refurb kit cheap enough...
Old 24th June 2018, 10:51   #6
salop75
Avid contributor

So little time (with new job and commuting without the car, and kids) to look at cars, but I took a spare half hour yesterday to poke a bit more.

The buzzing is definitely from the gearbox. If i get my head right in, the sound is either coming from the top of the autobox or from behind the black pan on the front of the autobox.

What i've noticed:

* With no buzzing sound the car turns over and fires, can be driven normally, but then engine dies, more often than not on roundabouts or when slowing down and turning, if ignition is left on the following is true:

1/ Fuse 1 will have blown
2/ The buzzing noise is present
3/ Car will not fire.

With Fuse 1 replaced and if the buzzing sound stops, the car will then start and drive.

* Often the buzzing sound is there from ignition on. Car will turn over but not fire.
* Placement of the auto gear level makes no difference to events.
* Disconnecting the connections to the starter makes no difference.
* With the buzzing sound happening, disconnecting the autobox solenoids barrel connector stops the noise, it doesn't restart and the car can then be started normally.

This is driving me mad. Unfortunately I don't have the money to throw the car at a garage or technician(i'd love to). I really don't want to have to SORN the car for ever and would love to keep it running, after all I've had it since new and has carried me all over the UK in comfort and style.

I'll attach a short video of the buzzing noise.

I am really at my wits end with this and would appreciate any help or advice
Old 25th June 2018, 08:20   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Check the condition of the cables going to the crank sensor and the heated oxygen sensors for damage and shorting out.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 25th June 2018 at 08:25..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote