Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th September 2023, 09:39   #1
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Default Saloon rear windscreen - bottom left corner leak

I have used dusters inside and tarps outside to narrow down a big rain water leak to within 4 inches of the bottom left corner of the rear windscreen. Where there are no window clips and forward of the hinge.

The water runs rearwards back past the front hinge bolt to collect on shelf high up behind the left side hinge. (And then the water drops down into the boot.)

I have heavily sealed the hinge area and have dusters under the bottom window clips which are all very dry.

I can feel a dampness further left of the window clips towards the D pillar (the D pillar is covered by a tarp so can't be the source of a big leak) so only the bottom left corner of the windscreen can be leaking.

I have sealed the body panel seams all around the hinge area and the hinge and the water gully and the boot rubber seal.

Does anyone know the best ways to seal what is "out of sight" around the four inches of the bottom left of the rear windscreen?
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2023, 10:12   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Could water be getting in under the chrome trim that surrounds the rear screen? Under the chrome trim are fittings at the base of the screen, these fittings are held in place by pegs and it could be leaking at the pegs. The pegs and fittings need to be removed, cleaned, silicone and put back.
The pegs my need their edges carefully cut off so they pass the screen.

there may be a How To thread but there is a thread on the forum about ho to do this.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2023, 11:01   #3
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Thanks macafee2. As the car gets older the chrome surround is distorted and more water gets into that gully beside the window.

But from what I see at the top by the roof rails then by design it seems to me some water is meant to drain from the roof rails and under the chrome surround and down at the side of the window.

When I had the chrome surround off I could not see where water would leak into the care but didn't realise the pugs are inserts? If they are, the lower pegs would be what is causing the leak and I could quickly pull the corner apart and fix that one or two pegs? thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:17   #4
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Just updating on initial success with stopping the leak on the saloon rear window - left side pins. I did things badly - but it still worked

It has rained very heavily for a couple of days and no rain water is in the upper sections of the rear wing and D pillar.

I had recently cleaned out the mud from the gully (that is covered by a chrome strip) that is all around the rear window.

Cleaning out the gully previously allowed me to as a lazy way to stop the leak through a number of attempts of using clear waxoyl. Clear waxoyl is very different indeed to black waxoyl. When heated by hot water, clear waxoyl is very much a lighter liquid and I poured it into the gully.

The next day I used cold clear waxoyl which had a texture like soft butter and spread it with a small wall paper scrapper to totally fill the gully with clear waxoyl.

Then after a couple/few days it went wrong as the clear waxoyl was too thick in the gully and it warmed up into a liquid, pressured up like a coke can and threw itself, (loads of it) out of the gully, but after a few inches cooled down and solidified again down the body of the car.

But the way waxoyl never actually dries but continually moves to fill gaps seems to have eventually worked. There were many leaks which slowed by day after day as waxoyl sealed more and more leaks in that area around the saloon rear windscreen

Last edited by Ed3; 13th October 2023 at 22:18..
Old 13th October 2023, 11:41   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Just updating on initial success with stopping the leak on the saloon rear window - left side pins. I did things badly - but it still worked

It has rained very heavily for a couple of days and no rain water is in the upper sections of the rear wing and D pillar.

I had recently cleaned out the mud from the gully (that is covered by a chrome strip) that is all around the rear window.

Cleaning out the gully previously allowed me to as a lazy way to stop the leak through I a number of attempts of using clear waxoyl. Clear waxoyl is very different indeed to black waxoyl. When heated by hot water, clear waxoyl is very much a lighter liquid and I poured it into the gully.

The next day I used cold clear waxoyl which had a texture like soft butter and spread it with a small wall paper scrapper to totally fill the gully with clear waxoyl.

Then after a couple/few days it went wrong as the clear waxoyl was too thick in the gully and it warmed up into a liquid, pressured up like a coke can and threw itself, (loads of it) out of the gully, but after a few inches cooled down and solidified again down the body of the car.

But the way waxoyl never actually dries but continually moves to fill gaps seems to have eventually worked. There were many leaks which slowed by day after day as waxoyl sealed more and more leaks in that area around the saloon rear windscreen

A solved leak is a result, no matter how you look at it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2023, 12:44   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

If the leak reappears i believe Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure is the way to go
https://captaintolley.com/

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2023, 13:48   #7
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Capt Tolleys is designed specifically for hairline leaks not for big leaks. I had used loads of Capt Tolleys in the larger 250ml size - for about five years. So I thought something thicker like clear waxoyl is needed for bigger leaks

Last edited by Ed3; 13th October 2023 at 22:17..