Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2013, 16:15   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Diesel Fuel Pump Question

Can anyone advise me on this.

Recently I've been experiencing a starting problem with the 75 Diesel. I've been advised that it may be due to the solenoids in the starter motor but haven't had a chance to take a proper look into this yet.

I've noticed that when the car is parked on a slant with the rear end higher than the front, it doesn't experience any starting issues. However, when it is parked with the front end higher than the back then it sometimes (not always) struggles to start. I have also just noticed that I cannot hear any buzzing noise from the fuel pump at the rear of the car when I turn the ignition (if there is one at the back on the facelifts I can't remember).

I haven't had a starting problem for over a week now but am wondering if its due to the rear fuel pump? I can hear a buzzing noise at the front of the car which I assume is the under bonnet fuel pump.

Would anyone be able to advise? Is there a way of knowing for sure if the fuel pump is working or not?

Much appreciated!
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:37   #2
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

yep its looking like intank pump failed or failing. if your under bonnet pump is going at a right rate of knots, and noisey then its looking like itp.
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:04   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Open filler flap, remove cap, switch the ignition on and quickly put your ear to the filler. For several seconds you should be able to hear the ITP, if not it has failed.

The other, more certain way - is to disconnect the pipe feeding from the rear, to the UBP and see if diesel flows out of there, as but as above.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:27   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanks for your replies - I'll have a look into this tomorrow.

In the case that the rear pump has gone, how long would it take roughly before it starts causing problems for the under bonnet fuel pump?

Is this a common issue with the diesels only, as my dad used to have a 1.8 non turbo and got just over 50k miles with no problems at all (just needed a cat replacement once).

cheers!
Rick
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:30   #5
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Thanks for your replies - I'll have a look into this tomorrow.

In the case that the rear pump has gone, how long would it take roughly before it starts causing problems for the under bonnet fuel pump?

Is this a common issue with the diesels only, as my dad used to have a 1.8 non turbo and got just over 50k miles with no problems at all (just needed a cat replacement once).

cheers!
Rick
I thought the facelifts only had a rear pump!
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:34   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
How long is a piece of string?

It depends on so many factors - how much life is left in the UBP, how hard it has to work, how much fuel you normally keep in the tank. Some manage years, some manage weeks.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 22nd December 2013, 18:31   #7
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
How long is a piece of string?

It depends on so many factors - how much life is left in the UBP, how hard it has to work, how much fuel you normally keep in the tank. Some manage years, some manage weeks.
So would it have one?
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 18:53   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3disco View Post
I thought the facelifts only had a rear pump!
Early facelifts had two pumps, some of the later ones had just the ITP.

If this car only has the ITP, then it would seems it might be intermittent so could fail completely at any moment.

Old 22nd December 2013, 20:15   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

I have both the in tank pump and under bonnet pump (under bonnet is the one behind the fuel filter isn't it?). I'll have to check properly over xmas and hope the under bonnet lasts until the new year.

Thanks for the help
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:20   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
I have both the in tank pump and under bonnet pump (under bonnet is the one behind the fuel filter isn't it?). I'll have to check properly over xmas and hope the under bonnet lasts until the new year.

Thanks for the help
Yes, the UBP is mounted on the firewall, rear of the battery. Fuel goes from ITP, to UBP, to the filter, then into the HP mechanical pump. surplus fuel is then returned back to the tank, via the cooling unit (mini radiator) at the rear.

A quick way to test for fuel flow, through the electric pumps, is to disconnect the input pipe to the filter, it just clips out - catch it in a jam jar.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 22nd December 2013 at 20:27..