Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th March 2020, 19:03   #11
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

At long last today I managed to fit the clip. There wasn't one fitted when I first took the filter out of the tank, though the filter didn't appear to be coming apart. I didn't take it apart either, so it may be dirty inside, but having now had it out, I'm happy that I can do it again and strip it further if necessary.
Car started ok, but having not been used since about 10.00, time now about 1845. We'll see if it makes any difference to starting (overnight from cold) in the next few days.
Had a struggle getting the filter back in though. The seal around the filter body wouldn't allow the filter to sit low enough for the large retainer ring to start its thread. However, gently feeding it into place, within the other seal on the floorpan, then lowering the filter in did the trick.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 21:29   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The seal should be fitted as in thread number 13 (from Brian) as below:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...er+seal&page=2

Sounds like you may have sorted it now.

Old 27th March 2020, 15:38   #13
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
The seal should be fitted as in thread number 13 (from Brian)

And the right way up if it's been taken off.
You should be able to start screwing down the retaining collar by hand and finish the tightening using a light hammer and drift.

See: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=9108

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2020, 09:24   #14
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Yes, I managed to get it re-assembled ok thanks.
However, I've tried to start it first time in the morning over the last couple of days, and it really is no better. So, what now, do I check the pressure at the schrader valve? What can I use? I have a mechanical tyre pressure gauge, is that ok?
Assuming I test it and it is ok, that then takes us back to my original thoughts about sensors. Not using the car last week, I tried it around midday on Wed and was pleasantly surprised that it started almost immediately. It hadn't been used since Mon morning, so should be cold. However it was a quite warm day on Wed and I did wonder if it was temperature related? It does seem ok during the day, just the early morning cold start takes a while.
I'm jumping ahead too far with that though. I need to check that fuel pressure.
Also, how on earth do you get the rear seat cushion clipped back into the rear clips? I've got the front ones in but not the backones.
Old 29th March 2020, 10:33   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

An old style mechanical gauge will work, but needs care. Clearly, you have to avoid misplacing the connector and gettng a faceful of petrol spray. The ideal way is a dial gauge with a flexi connector that screws onto the Schrader valve. There's a thread showing this somewhere in these annals. However it's done, you need to see 50psi or more when your assistant turns on the ignition.

To manipulate the rear seat cushion, I made a special tool that makes it easy (easier anyway). See (scroll down to Post 3): https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for....php?p=2531165

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 19:26   #16
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

I managed to fit the rear seat properly today, with the homemade tool suggested.
With the weather beginning to improve I hope to get back to the starting problem, starting with the pressure check. I have a compressor with a tyre inflater and dial gauge, could I use this to quickly check the pressure? Obviously, without the compressor working!
Old 1st October 2020, 17:13   #17
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

It's been an awful long while since I posted on here, but fingers now crossed......I might now be ok with it. I've started it cold many times, leaving it to stand in between starts, and also run it to warm up, and it has been ok all day. Time will tell.

To summarize, the fault 1 was the poor starting. Having a stock of used (and hopefully still good) spares, I've changed an awful lot of parts. No real order, just what was to hand and easy to do at the time. The list is as follows.

Iridium spark plugs - all checked (ok) clean and not needing adjustment. Some swopping, but originals back in. Coils ditto.
IAT/MAP sensor changed.
Fuel purge valvechanged.
IACV, checked; still clean from the last check, but the screw thread on motor shaft was very poor so the motor was changed. (Not without a saga; the replacement throttle body off ebay was poorly packed, so arrived damaged, but I got a full refund then repaired it!).
Complete inlet manifold and throttle body replaced.
VIS motors checked, both faulty (though they were checked when I got the car 18 months ago). So a couple were rebuilt and another vis tester built (my original was never returned when lent out).
Fuel pressure checked at manifold with tyre pressure gauge.
Both cam and crankshaft sensors changed, but flickering of the rev counter was noted anyway.
lpg injectors were replaced last year.
The FOC was added, though not found necessary (and the new one was a white one). That was back in February, I took the filter right out this week, and stripped it down. There is NO cartridge (or spring?) inside! I'm just about to order one.
A week ago I totally isolated the lpg (ie switched it off). There seemed to be an immediate improvement and I thought I'd found it. The wiring for the 2x solenoid valves on the lpg fuel line were wired to ign +ve; there is an option of a slightly different feed which happens when the system is ready to switch. I was prepared to change to that but rain stopped play, and in the meantime the fault still did remain. I was thinking that both petrol & lpg were present when starting, flooding the manifold. However that rewire is now done.
All lpg hoses were checked, a number of ends were redone as the pipes were aging.
Much reading on the forum etc was also done, but suddenly I came across a posting (no idea who it was now) who had got some advice via an lpg forum. So early today I followed that advice. The lpg vapouriser has a rubber(?) diaphragm inside, and I too found a small split in it. Luckily, again I had a spare which I fitted.

Hence the many test starts, all with success so far, today.

Fault 2, I did a re-calibration which improved matters a few weeks ago., but didn't 100% clear it. I reckon the vapouriser fault is related, so ifit settles down ok I'll have another go.

Last edited by StewartIngram; 1st October 2020 at 17:18..