Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd August 2019, 11:27   #21
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thank you Al.

Yes, the 2006/2007 disc will be ok to use but bear in mind that any road alterations made since then will not be on it.

The most recent official disc I know of is 2009-2010. Navteq was the original supplier, then VDO Dayton and Tele Atlas joined in.
Tele Atlas discs don't include TMC, Traffic Message Channel. This is data encoded onto Classic FM and Smooth Radio stations. It shows live traffic information as symbols on the map, primarily queues and road closures. It is free of charge.

If I were you I would Google those three suppliers and see if anything is available now. Somehow I doubt it because people use their smartphones now and don't want to pay £80 for a CD.

Simon

I bought a 2015 disc off Navteq last year which at that time I believe was the most up to date for these units that was available.

I keep my working original Satnav for the originality thing. The system is a kind of quaint basic version of todays super duper systems as you would expect of a 16 year+ old system as technology moves on but it certainly works OK and i'd have no concerns about it getting me to any existing address up to 2015 disc information if needed in an emergency.

I use my modern Satnav for general driving if required as it also has speed limits and warnings on it but pop the original on every now and again to give it a run just for the fun of it.

Last edited by bendrick; 3rd August 2019 at 11:32..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:21   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Arrow Attention Ardvark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post
Did you do as Dave suggested, open the boot and watch the red LED on the drive unit, after about 5 minutes the LED should go out, if not, that is why it was not connected in the first place.
Just to return to the topic, Al we're all waiting to hear the result of this important test.

Simon
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:14   #23
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Sorry Simon,
I did the test and after over 5 minutes the red light was still on.
I closed the drivers door and the tailgate and locked the car up.
After 10 minutes the red light was still on.

Question

I use the car EVERY day. Bearing that in mind will the SatNav have enough time to drain the car battery down if kept connected?
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:34   #24
SD1too

Thanks Al. I'm afraid that your sat. nav. disc drive/computer is faulty and will need replacing. The tell-tale sign is it failing to shut down. This happens when the battery has been disconnected at some point before waiting a few minutes for the red LED to extinguish.

As dattrike said, this is the reason why it was unplugged, so that it did not drain the battery. You will need to unplug it again because there's no point in leaving it connected. It doesn't work.

To answer your question, you might use the car every day but there's no sense in having an avoidable current drain. Why have the worry and take the risk of the car not starting on a winter's morning when the temperature is close to freezing?

Your options are not to use the sat. nav. at all or seek a replacement Mk. 3 disc drive/computer on e-bay. I've just had a look for you and there's one auction which ends tomorrow. But beware! The seller hasn't declared that it's in working order and he doesn't accept returns.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 3rd August 2019 at 14:46..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:39   #25
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Thanks for telling me that.
I'm a bit confused atm.
The meaning of "not working" you said about.
When I plugged it in and set it to work, I put an address in an it seemed to take me there no problem.
If the meaning "not working" meant it's not working properly, then as suggested it would be best left unplugged until I need to use the SatNav.
I'm not going to the expense of replacing it atm because in my eyes it's not cost effective and there are other thing I want to do to the car first.
As said there are apps on phones that can do the job I dare say I can go down that route.
Old 3rd August 2019, 19:03   #26
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Yes, leave it unplugged until you want to use it.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd August 2019, 20:10   #27
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
The meaning of "not working" you said about.
When I plugged it in and set it to work, I put an address in an it seemed to take me there no problem.
Yes, sorry, I forgot about that. If you're prepared to keep connecting and disconnecting it each time you need sat. nav. then fine. It's your choice. I would lose patience with the inconvenience of that for the sake of spending £23 (the current auction price of a replacement). But if you think that's not "cost effective" then again, it's up to you.

I don't think that there's anything else I can usefully contribute.

Simon
Old 3rd August 2019, 22:21   #28
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Listen Simon.
You have been very helpful with my questions. I thank you for that. Because of that I now understand which way I can go as far as the SatNav is concerned. I bought the Conny SE tourer Wednesday just gone and have another week before I go back to work. Things to be done have to be put in order based on the importance,time and pennies I have left.
Old 1st April 2020, 14:20   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
One final point, the previous owner may have disconnected the unit as it drained the battery over a period of days. This is caused by the unit not shutting down when you turn off the car.

To test this open the boot and drivers door whilst the ign is on and then remove the keys.

You can either close or leave open the drivers door it makes no difference.

Go to the back of the car with the boot open and observe the red light on the satnav unit. DO NOT open or close any doors or the bonnet. the light on the satnav unit should flash, then the flashing increases speed for a short time and then the light goes out. It can take around 5 mins but if the light doesn't go out then that is the reason the unit was unplugged.

As this is a BMW based unit I believe work in the mk 3 unit which is also used in the E39 BMW

The cd disk on my mk3 unit is Navtec 2014/15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-SATNA...gAAOSwKV9cG6U-
Hi Dave. I have been wondering why my sat nav disc that you recommended a few weeks back, keeps coming up as ‘no disc’ on the screen (low line). Now I have got the boot unit out and thinking it may want a warm, I have been keeping it by the fire, in case it was damp inside the case. I can get the disc in and out. You say you have mk3 satnav. I can read on my unit that it is marked:- con mk3/BMW sn554909 on the side of where the two plugs fit. So I take this to mean it is a mk3 unit. The other identification is:- MGROVER yib000250 MONO HW 1.2 SW 5.20, so I take this to be a mk3 unit. When I read the advert for the disc, I did not notice that it said suitable for colour screen. Does this mean that it is not suitable for my satnav as it is low line.Lost in the wilderness I am afraid.
Old 1st April 2020, 14:51   #30
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi David,
The Identification of sat nav models is not difficult, from your description you do have a BMW ver but it should not make a difference.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...73&postcount=3

I do have somewhere and older disk I have taken out of my mk3 which I would be more than happy to send you

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote