Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2023, 12:49   #1
Glen B
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club, 2005 Rover 45, 2000 Rover 25, 1963 Rover 110

Default Fitted new clutch master cylinder but can't get a pedal

After having to drive 150 miles home with no clutch pedal a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a new metal master cylinder from DMGRS and fitted it. I have tried to bleed it using the nipple below the battery tray ( which I've removed) but there is no pedal at all so far. I have filled the reservoir up with fluid but I've not put the " condom" back in so far as it seems a lot quicker to refill the reservoir without it.
I've had my wife push the pedal down while I undo the bleed nipple and then tightened it when the pedal was fully down a few times. I've checked and refilled reservoir and pushed the pedal up and down myself while checking the fluid but there still is no pedal. I was beginning to wonder if it's the slave cylinder but can't see and fluid dripping out from the bell housing.
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 13:20   #2
Glen B
Avid contributor

Default Fitted new clutch master cylinder but can't get a pedal

I forgot to mention that the 2 sections of metal pipe between clutch and slave cylinder are joined directly without the one way valve as I clumsily broke it last time I fitted new master cylinder with metal pipe. I got a new connector with the new master cylinder but the bottom half of the metal pipe is different as it was connected with brake pipe union.
Old 1st January 2024, 12:52   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Im not a manual owner of mgrover and dont know too much about the set up, but it sounds to me that without that one way valve , you have got a problem without getting in to the slave. Their are many members on here that can put you right on this problem, so hopefully will give you some suggestions .
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 16:03   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Im not a manual owner of mgrover and dont know too much about the set up, but it sounds to me that without that one way valve , you have got a problem without getting in to the slave. Their are many members on here that can put you right on this problem, so hopefully will give you some suggestions .
You may be right but if there was a one way valve, can fluid pass to the slave and back to the master?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 18:17   #5
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I think it's actually a self sealing coupling, not a one way valve. When disconnected you can check the master cylinder is ok. I had my slave cylinder fail back in May and I didn't see fluid leaking from the bell housing initially either. By disconnecting the coupling I could tell the master cylinder was ok as the pedal was impossible to push down. I wouldn't want to do it again though and would recommend the metal replacement from DMGRS, the plastic ones have a slot cut into the boss the pipes fit into and that's where mine failed.

Last edited by Geoff130; 1st January 2024 at 18:18.. Reason: make more sense, should read before posting
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 22:03   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Try connecting a bottle of fluid to the bleed nipple, removed the slave cap and rubber and reverse bleed.

Do have some towels under the slave to collect any spillage.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 09:38   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Im not sure if the O.P is trying to bleed this without having to gain access again to the slave . I think this is what he is asking...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2024, 16:45   #8
Glen B
Avid contributor

Default Fitted a new clutch master cylinder but can't get a pedal

Thanks for your replies. Took my cdt 2003 to my local garage and mechanic tells me it's slave cylinder at fault. I do trust him as he's done work on my cars for a few years now. He's going to fit new slave cylinder and clutch for me which I've ordered from DMGRS today. Unfortunately I've got to wait 3 weeks until they have a full day clear with no other jobs but it would cost a fortune to transport it anywhere to get it done sooner. At least we have our W reg 25 to drive.