Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2012, 18:46   #1
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Default A warning.

I've copied and pasted this from the tech section about what happened today, please be aware while it's below freezing...

WARNING !
OK. Guys thanks for this thread, as I've had that exact problem today, and although I dealt with it easily enough, it would not have been good if someone else was driving, unaware of what was happening.
Started car, temp showing minus 3 degrees. After a couple of miles the temp went down to -5 and then quickly to -8, and we were on a Motorway and set Cruise to which may or may not have been something over 70 leptons.Nice quiet road, no dramas until a car pulled out in the distance so I touched the brakes and the Cruise lights duly went out. Still all fine, until I realised that the car has stayed at the speed and is now driving it self! No amount of pedal playing would free it, but using brakes would slow the car, but not seemingly the revs! As it was a Motorway, and felt I had a bit of control, I carried on until it became a duel carriageway and was able to pull over in a layby.Slowing to a halt, with my foot hard on the brakes, it was obvious that the car was still trying to pull forward,I put it in neutral( it's an Auto) and the revs were stuck at 4000rpm.With my foot hard still on teh brake, I put it in park,and turned teh ignition off. Restarted a couple of times and it was still stuck at 4000rpm, and no amount of blipping the throttle would do it. Flipped the bonnet, and played with the throttle manually, and after a couple of attempts it freed itself, ideld a bit lumpy for a few seconds and then fine.Continued the journey not going over 2500 revs and all fine, as was the same journey on the way back, again keeping the revs at sensible levels.
Looking at the number of occurences,there seems to be a link between anything colder than -5 degrees below and the throttle sticking?
Please all of you, be very careful, it's not a pleasant experience
Old 11th February 2012, 18:53   #2
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

I'm sorry, but that is really hard work trying to read AND understand that. I've tried twice.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 18:54   #3
marley
Avid contributor

rover 75 cdti. conn. s.e.

Ooh! Sounds scarey! I wont be using my cruise, if its minus then! Thanks for that!
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 18:59   #4
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
I'm sorry, but that is really hard work trying to read AND understand that. I've tried twice.
V6 engines suffer from sticking throttles in cold weather beware...

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 19:36   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard680 View Post
V6 engines suffer from sticking throttles in cold weather beware...
They only suffer it there is a problem with the way the engine breathes, this is now well documented on how to ensure the breather system is in good condition.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=104108

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 11th February 2012 at 19:42..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 19:55   #6
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Most car handbooks discourage the use of cruise control in wintery or very wet conditions as it can be very dangerous, I find cruise very scary at the best of times & generally only use it for keeping at the right speed through long stretches of roadworks or where the speed limit is difficult to adhere to
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:20   #7
oggy
Regular poster

Rover 75

My cruise control works fine in all temperature ranges,never had a problem. Then again it is my right foot.
oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:20   #8
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Most car handbooks discourage the use of cruise control in wintery or very wet conditions as it can be very dangerous, I find cruise very scary at the best of times & generally only use it for keeping at the right speed through long stretches of roadworks or where the speed limit is difficult to adhere to
As above,I do the same.Generally I just use me foot.But its a good warning.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:23   #9
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

That sounds very scary , thank the lord i dont have cruise .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:31   #10
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Don't have cruise now, but when I did I generally only used it to keep legal in stretches of camera-infested roadworks.