Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th January 2020, 20:58   #61
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Words fail me Gerry .

Loved this picture, thanks Rob

guess who's chatting to the man himself.

Can't wait to see the convertible in the metal!

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 08:06   #62
confronted
Avid contributor

Rover 75

[QUOTE=trebor;2789047]Well Gerry you have finally achieved the convertible, most of us have drooled over the Coupe and Convertible for years and you have made dreams come true with your skill, knowledge, patience and plenty of wine, your car projects have to be some of if not the best posts on the forum in my opinion.

Looking back at your projects is there anything left for you to do with a Rover 75, is that it or will you be surprising us all again at some point ?

One request from me, if you are taking it to meets and shows any chance you could post on here which ones you are going to so we can all get a chance to tick it off our bucket lists !

You should be very proud of what you have achieved, arise Sir Gerry !

[

Thanks Rob,just doing what I enjoy doing.Yes already planing the next project but won,t start until the summer,I hope to take it to POL weather permitting.
confronted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 02:55   #63
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default A marvel ;-)

Well done Jerry, you are amazing with your creations

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 22:31   #64
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

You need to put a different set of wheels on the car, the ones you have fitted currently do not do your hard work justice Gerry.

Maybe something along these lines perhaps?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 13:35   #65
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

I just had to, though I'm sure some have already seen it.

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:42   #66
marinabrian

MG ZT

I will more than likely upset a few people here, but I feel this needs to be said

I'm sorry, but from that angle the car is absolutely plug ugly.

The mirrors look too small, the top of the door line leading into the rear quarter looks decidedly odd, the forward facing shape of the trailing edge of the door is jarring, along with the A pillar angles being too shallow, and the whole car looks tail heavy.

I don't know which Mercedes ragtop was cannibalised to create this car, but I'm sure the styling cues work a lot better on the original.

Gerry has created some really nice looking cars, and I take off my hat to him but this is not one of those, the pickup is a nicer looking vehicle by far.

Don't get me wrong, I have a fair idea what is involved in creating something along these lines, but the donor car doesn't blend as well as the BMW used in the Coupe build.

Perhaps it's simply wandered too far away from it's roots to be cohesive, I don't know, but it definitely doesn't work for me aesthetically at least.

I'll don my tin hat and retire to a safe distance then

Brian
Old 4th February 2020, 09:41   #67
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

You are an incredibly talented man Gerry, you have produced yet another very fine vehicle and I love the fact that you do it all from a shed in your garden - just the way all true British engineers have done for last 200 years !

Forget any negative comments on here - things like wheel style, bumpers, colour, etc. are all minor personal details to an individual, and the ones you've chosen are great at showing variation and what might have been, had the factory had you as an engineer.

It's clear that those who quickly find fault with things like door edge shape or A-pillar angles have absolutely no grasp of just how difficult a project like this is to produce...

I look forward to seeing the car in the flesh.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:18   #68
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post

It's clear that those who quickly find fault with things like door edge shape or A-pillar angles have absolutely no grasp of just how difficult a project like this is to produce...
I think you'll find that I do have a rather good grasp of what is involved in a project like this, better than you might imagine too

Gerry has produced some lovely things, this isn't one of them unfortunately, and I'm not in the habit of blowing smoke up people's backsides either

I wasn't looking to win a popularity contest otherwise I would have kept my observations to myself, if the truth be known, I think it's a Frankenstein monster of a car, but there you have it.

The important this to remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this ruins the simplicity of the 75 design, it's not a beautiful car, it's an ugly one.

Brian
Old 4th February 2020, 10:35   #69
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I'm not in the habit of blowing smoke up people's backsides either
What you get up to in your spare time Brian, is your business....

But I think a certain level of politeness is appropriate to Gerry in this situation. If his design and hours of hard work aren't pleasing to your eye, then maybe you should be a little more restrained in your negative comments.

Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder...
Old 4th February 2020, 15:25   #70
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
What you get up to in your spare time Brian, is your business....

But I think a certain level of politeness is appropriate to Gerry in this situation. If his design and hours of hard work aren't pleasing to your eye, then maybe you should be a little more restrained in your negative comments.

Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder...
Such as telling him the Emperors new clothes are delightful?

No I'm sorry Gerry is indeed a talented man, however on this occasion the finished result is nothing like as good as his previous creations.

I would have thought that anyone making any one off, would be as sensible as to think it would not be to everyone's taste, especially as it is very loosely based around a Rover 75, and this is a club dedicated to the Rover 75 and MG ZT.

I'm not going to say it's a delight, while telling others behind Gerry's back that I think it's ugly as sin, I will be frank and honest.

I think the man deserves credit for building this car, but if this were a commercial offering from a car manufacturer, would you be as quick to deny anyone the right to criticise what is after all a lash up of two manufacturers models which loses the original concept of the R40 entirely ?

You may see it as rude, I see it as justified criticism, and rather than simply blindly applauding the car, make a couple of observations where it may have worked better in execution.

I will elaborate just in case you think I'm simply being awkward for awkward's sake, the car is very tail heavy, this would be mitigated greatly by fitting Mk1 bumpers with the bright inserts, and it would also mean tidying up the shut lines on the front, which given the amount of time and effort put into the car by Gerry, let it down immensely.

And the wheels, well wouldn't make them into planters for my garden, they don't work at all, and never will on any 75 or ZT.

If I hadn't come on strongly after seeing the car viewed from a different angle, I suppose the suggestion of different wheels and bumpers would have been better received.

Anyway I suspect Gerry won't be too upset, he is sensible enough to understand not everyone is going to like the car.

Brian