Notices

Old 3rd February 2020, 19:04   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Lockup for life? Well maybe . . . but . . . hasn't prison proven to be many times over a way of learning how to be a better criminal? I have a brave friend who used to teach in prisons - 50%+ of inmates are illiterate by the way - but facilities and resources were so cut back as to be almost valueless. What a short-sighted policy, but then again, entirely in keeping with the hang-'em, flog-'em philosophy of this government. Seems to me you either give up and spend £63000 a year on locking them up for ever -or invest a whole lot less and try and make them see the errors of their ways. Is it not the policy of despair to plan otherwise?
“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals.”(Dostoyevsky and others)

Lot of it true but two points miss the real one:

‘short-sighted policy....entirely in keeping with the hang-'em, flog-'em philosophy of this government.’

You really cannot apply that allegation to modern government policy of any particular party! The criticism of current policy (last 50 years at least) is about just the opposite. Hanging was abolished following the execution of Ruth Ellis in 1965. Flogging...100 years ago?

“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals.”(Dostoyvsky and others)

Dostoevsky and many of the ‘others’ quoted were convicted and imprisoned themselves for crimes against the State – not for murder - biased or what? Most of their output was understandable under a cruel regime.

Have the recidivism statistics been considered? Even gov.uk public files will not be accepted by my pc settings because there are ‘objectionable contents’ in them! The reasons given for what might be considered humanitarian and well-meaning are, in fact, a complete whitewash over an abject failure to protect the public.

Nobody is calling for hanging and flogging, only justifiable protection against vicious unrepentant cold-blooded killers for as long as it takes, even until they are incapable of indiscriminate murder.

A sure sign of an impoverished society is one that is incapable of, or refuses to, protect itself. Turning the other cheek only begets a knife in the back.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:58   #12
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

There is no cure for a terrorist, like a zealous religious faith its the mindset that doesn't want to accept alternative views or ideals and no amount of re-education etc will change their underlying views. Capitol punishment will never return because we're too civilised (?) a people and mistakes of conviction can be made. A better solution would be to establish a penal colony like the French had at Cayenne (Devils Island). There's plenty of small isolated rocks around Scotland we could use or better still set up one on West Falkland away from harm to the rest of us and no chance of escape

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:06   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
There is no cure for a terrorist, like a zealous religious faith its the mindset that doesn't want to accept alternative views or ideals and no amount of re-education etc will change their underlying views. Capitol punishment will never return because we're too civilised (?) a people and mistakes of conviction can be made. A better solution would be to establish a penal colony like the French had at Cayenne (Devils Island). There's plenty of small isolated rocks around Scotland we could use or better still set up one on West Falkland away from harm to the rest of us and no chance of escape
Great idea.
Old 3rd February 2020, 22:39   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I say release them at end of term, but keep an armed detail watch their every move, and if they a much as sneeze the wrong way, deal with them swiftly and succinctly.

Sadly there is no cure for extremism, no amount of reeducation will sway the brainwashed and I'd much rather see money spent on deserving causes, than persons who see the general populous as "infidels"

They do not represent their own or indeed any "religion", instead using a twisted view of religion as an excuse to commit heinous atrocities.

These are sick individuals who cannot be rehabilitated reliably into society, no matter what the do gooders will have you believe.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 06:54   #15
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I say release them at end of term, but keep an armed detail watch their every move, and if they a much as sneeze the wrong way, deal with them swiftly and succinctly.

Sadly there is no cure for extremism, no amount of reeducation will sway the brainwashed and I'd much rather see money spent on deserving causes, than persons who see the general populous as "infidels"

They do not represent their own or indeed any "religion", instead using a twisted view of religion as an excuse to commit heinous atrocities.

These are sick individuals who cannot be rehabilitated reliably into society, no matter what the do gooders will have you believe.

Brian
You summed it up there perfectly Bri, there is no cure, as I said in my opening post, once a terrorist , always a terrorist. But releasing them with an armed detail keeping tabs on them, the cost of that could be put to the better causes you speak of. I say bring back somewhere like a Guantanamo.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:38   #16
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

The Daily Mail headline says "he wanted to kill a MP" Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote