Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2012, 16:15   #1
BigBeere
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default ZT 2Ltr CDTI 2003 Manual - Feels Sluggish?

Hi all,

Ive had my ZT for around 4 weeks now and its going strong! It just seems a bit sluggish when pulling away in 1st gear?!

She pulls like a train in every other gear, it just seems shes a bit slow when pulling off quickly.

Is it just me being a bit impatient?

Any advice is much appreciated !

Thanks all

B
BigBeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 16:27   #2
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

I can assure that they are not slow off the line so I would suggest that something is not quite right.

I would have a good look on here to find out the common things to change/check on a ZT/75 CDT(i) on here.

Things such as the MAF, EGR, PCV and Intercooler rings could all account for your symptoms and are cheep to sort.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 16:28   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Do a search on the MAF. the air flow sensor at the back of the motor. just after the air filter, unplug it and see if it makes a difference.
Check behind the Ns headlight, at the bottom of the intercooler pipes for oil, th eintercooler o-rings may be leaking.
The EGR may be blocked, stuck open and collecting muck-again do a search and see all the info and results on here.

oops types too slow...
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 18:04   #4
BigBeere
Avid contributor

MG ZT

thanks guys, will have a search over the forum and have a look!

UPDATE:

I went for a quick drive just to see how she is, i always wait for her to warm up before i put my foot down, once she was warmed up i went for a little drive.

It seems that she never gets past 90mph, she seems to get to 90mph ok but struggles to get past it, (it could just be me!)

Anyway, about an hour ago i was in 3rd gear at around 3.5k revs and all of a sudden she jolted (it felt like we stalled!), it made me jump to be honest, so i pulled my foot off the gas and gently drove to my destination.

I popped the bonnet open and was looking for any pipes or hoses which may of popped off, which i couldnt see. There was a smell of something burning.

a little worried to drive her home now, but im only 2 miles away from home!

Worried.com!

Help is really appreciated !

Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 22:12   #5
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

First port of call might be the intercooler pipe in front of the battery. Let someone rev the car +/- 3000 rpm while you are holding the big rubber turbo pipe, see if it expands, if not it may(unlikely) have come out of the intercooler.
check that your airfilter is clean.
The PCV (valve) at the back of the engine may also be clogged, this would cause pressure to build up in starnge places.Again do a search on the PCV.Clean it, or for the very short term remove it .

These engines rev to 4500rpm quite easily, not that there is any point as you are then way past the peak power anyway.

Keep us posted.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 00:51   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Adam.
Check the o-rings going into the intercooler they may have popped out this happened only last week to a felow member but his bracket had broke, 15 mins job to fix if only the rings also as above check the PCV filter EGR in all give it a good service going over clean the manifold etc check the links below
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81279

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=108122

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=104733

If you get stuck drop me a PM and i can give it the once over for you if you can get to mine one day in the week as you are not that far from me 40 mins maybe cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 20:05   #7
BigBeere
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Thank you guys - ive got an afternoon off tomorrow and im going to give the engine a good once over.

Thanks for helpful links, a bit worried about taking all those bits apart though! If i get stuck Artic i shall have to take you up on that offer and let you have a look at my baby!

Wil keep you all updated - am really thankful for the advice!

Thanks!

B
Old 11th June 2012, 20:20   #8
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeere View Post
Thank you guys - ive got an afternoon off tomorrow and im going to give the engine a good once over.

Thanks for helpful links, a bit worried about taking all those bits apart though! If i get stuck Artic i shall have to take you up on that offer and let you have a look at my baby!

Wil keep you all updated - am really thankful for the advice!

Thanks!

B
I'll be on here all afternoon tomorrow. If you hit a problem, give me a shout.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote