Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th September 2019, 18:20   #1
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Default Towbar electrics & IPK light

I'm going to fit the electrics at the bank next week using and aftermarket relay which has an output for a trailer bulb failure warning.

So my question is is the trailer warning light on the IPK fed by a dedicated wire I could tap into?

Or as I suspect it is ,is the proper rover relay connected to the LSM which tells the IPK to light the Trailer light through all the bus connections?

Thanks Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 18:24   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what relay are you using?.

look for a thread titled LSM, this may help answer. I don't think a proper relay but a wire is required. I'll try to find the part number

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 18:26   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I think you may need this
YMZ000150 LINK LEAD

macafee2
Old 7th September 2019, 18:31   #4
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

This is the relay I'm going for has an output for trailer light failed I'm assuming it's a 12v supply when energised

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...=1897823669006
Old 9th September 2019, 16:34   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
This is the relay I'm going for has an output for trailer light failed I'm assuming it's a 12v supply when energised

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...=1897823669006
no that wont work, I'm sure of it. That is just a standard relay. There are better people then I on this forum that can tell you for sure.
From what I understand you need a bmw relay, part number 61.35-8 369 019. You will also need the plug that fits into that relay plus a length of wire. I would try and get the plug with the wire attached, it will need to be cut from the wiring harness.

If you are going tow a caravan with a fridge turned on, then you will also need a split charge relay so the caravan does not flatten the car battery when it is attached but the engine not running.

Using the relay you refer to this is my advice. Solder the wires from the relay into the cars wiring harness. Cut the wires from the relay about half way along its length and then use a terminal block to connect the two sets of wires together. Makes changing the relay easy if it goes faulty

macafee2

Old 9th September 2019, 18:06   #6
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
no that wont work, I'm sure of it. That is just a standard relay. There are better people then I on this forum that can tell you for sure.
From what I understand you need a bmw relay, part number 61.35-8 369 019. You will also need the plug that fits into that relay plus a length of wire. I would try and get the plug with the wire attached, it will need to be cut from the wiring harness.

If you are going tow a caravan with a fridge turned on, then you will also need a split charge relay so the caravan does not flatten the car battery when it is attached but the engine not running.

Using the relay you refer to this is my advice. Solder the wires from the relay into the cars wiring harness. Cut the wires from the relay about half way along its length and then use a terminal block to connect the two sets of wires together. Makes changing the relay easy if it goes faulty

macafee2
Thanks for the connector block tip , the wires will be soldered so done properly.

As it's only for towing a light trailer occasionally I think I'll just wire an led somewhere fed of
f the relay for an indicator of trailer light failure