Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd November 2016, 11:07   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Harmony in car socket,will it accept Symphony loom BMW plug?

I'm attempting to change my Harmony over to the Symphony system. I have the radio the full loom for the Symphony system incorporating the CD extension lead.
Having read all the in depth threads one thing I am still uncertain of is,:will my present in car static socket for my harmony feed, (with the Harmony radio harness removed),accept the 16 pin BMW plug(pt No:BMW 1390 417) which comes with the Symphony loom???
If not, how do I proceed?

Where do I access the present in car radio socket?

Need some advice before I proceed to strip out....thanks
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 23rd November 2016 at 12:16..
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:45   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The Symphony lead is a direct replacement for the Harmony lead and plugs into the same 16 pin connector on the car loom behind the ashtray unit.

Last edited by raykay; 23rd November 2016 at 13:04..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:37   #3
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The Symphony lead is a direct replacement for the Harmony lead and plugs into the same 16 pin connector on the car loom behind the ashtray unit.
Many thanks for help, the other point now is how do I access lead from behind ashtray, or should that be cup holder.

Can I also assume that Symphony BMW 16 pin plug will not fit into Harmony BMW radio socket, as that was the feeling I was getting from Dave T's thread?

Apologies for questions, but car wiring leaves me cold!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:46   #4
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Many thanks for help, the other point now is how do I access lead from behind ashtray, or should that be cup holder.

Can I also assume that Symphony BMW 16 pin plug will not fit into Harmony BMW radio socket, as that was the feeling I was getting from Dave T's thread?

Apologies for questions, but car wiring leaves me cold!
There's considerably more room to manoeuvre if unplug and remove the air con controls. ( gently prise off the fascia then there are 4 screws in the corners if I remember correctly )

Gives you access right down to the back of the ash tray where everythingnis neatly tucked away and also helps when faffing around trying to ensure nothing gets trapped behind the radio unit when you reinstall!
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:00   #5
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
There's considerably more room to manoeuvre if unplug and remove the air con controls. ( gently prise off the fascia then there are 4 screws in the corners if I remember correctly )

Gives you access right down to the back of the ash tray where everythingnis neatly tucked away and also helps when faffing around trying to ensure nothing gets trapped behind the radio unit when you reinstall!
Cheers Dave. I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere that a credit card will remove climate control facia?

Attempted to revive thread but without any joy. But what with doing hydra support etc,what can possibly go wrong with a few screws and wiring!!!!
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:13   #6
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Cheers Dave. I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere that a credit card will remove climate control facia?

Attempted to revive thread but without any joy. But what with doing hydra support etc,what can possibly go wrong with a few screws and wiring!!!!
Derek,

I used a electrical terminal screwdriver to get mine off but thinking about it an old credit card will do the trick. To be honest I'm amazed I got mine off without breaking anything. I'm not the most genteel of workers. I do try to be, I really do but it just seems to elude me...

I recently fitted a bargain 2 din android unit and it all went surprisingly well. Im not a great fan of anything electrical either, especially with those ridiculous thin wires.

Spookily my hydramount and tie bar turned up about an hour ago. I'm just off to the metal merchants to see if I can't find a suitable tube to carve out a hydramount tool. Hopefully I can crack on and get it done over this weekend.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:20   #7
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
It may, (it's the same layout), if it does it will save having to delve behind the ashtray unit.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:46   #8
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
It may, (it's the same layout), if it does it will save having to delve behind the ashtray unit.
It definitely appears to give that impression when Dave T discussed job with "James", which would save further dismantling.....if it does I will post results.
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:56   #9
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
Derek,

I used a electrical terminal screwdriver to get mine off but thinking about it an old credit card will do the trick. To be honest I'm amazed I got mine off without breaking anything. I'm not the most genteel of workers. I do try to be, I really do but it just seems to elude me...

I recently fitted a bargain 2 din android unit and it all went surprisingly well. Im not a great fan of anything electrical either, especially with those ridiculous thin wires.

Spookily my hydramount and tie bar turned up about an hour ago. I'm just off to the metal merchants to see if I can't find a suitable tube to carve out a hydramount tool. Hopefully I can crack on and get it done over this weekend.
You and I are much alike!!Murphy's law for me, if it can go wrong then it will.

As for Hydra Mount, why not save yourself a lot of work and request loan of tool on Forum, I did and got one from a complete stranger the following day!
You require a good purchase when torqueing up....do not wish to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but be careful of main mounting onto engine as
the threads are alloy(easily stripped),also steady bracket (black) will have witness marks from initial build 2 bolts in slotted fit, they should tighten up in same place. Then the side bracket which the steady bracket fits to, the facing bolt is also in a slot, this is to ensure you tighten down side bracket correctly prior to tightening this bolt.
Good luck, if I can help(having just done mine)!! The return is fantastic, it totally changed my car, really quiet and smooth, no vibes, no resonance.