Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2010, 17:48   #11
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroman View Post
Off the top of my head (and I may well be over-pessimistic, but this is based on professional experience, assuming no other health issues), expect 6 weeks in cast if surgery is not required, expect recovery to take a while longer and may perhaps need physio to regain full mobility.

I would say, watch for the cast rubbing (particularly as the swelling goes down, if the cast seems loose go back to Hospital straight away

Thanks Karl

The cast is loose around the leg up to the knee from above the ankle but the actual ankle is held in tight. Its only been on for 24 hours is this normal or does she need to go back?

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 17:49   #12
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Sorry to hear this Ken.

Marion did her ankle some years ago Ken. Called a "twist fracture" or something like that if I recall correctly.

She had a cast on for 9 weeks I think. Apparently straightforward. No problems except devilishly itchy.
Thanks Paul
Old 4th March 2010, 17:54   #13
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Surely they use their arms for all that. I think I had better hide her passport.
Its standing by the sink thats difficult but I have found if you put heavy weights on the feet they stay there
Old 4th March 2010, 18:18   #14
baggie9
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar s Type

I broke mine in the same place ,playing football but had to have an operation to wire it .I was in plaster for 6 mounths then when back to work at seven mounths and the metal work came loose had to have the wires and scew removed.Started playing football after a year and 6 mounths later had my other leg broke.
baggie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 18:30   #15
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Sorry to hear that Ken, wish Doreen the very best from us!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 18:40   #16
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Sorry to hear that Ken, wish Doreen the very best from us!
Sorry to hear that Ken Eve and myself wish Doreen a speedy recovery, Ken when you do the dishs don't for the marrygolds and use a good washing up stuff.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:48   #17
baggie9
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar s Type

Tell Doreen however much it itches dont use any knitting needles or anything to scratch it.I used a little pump with a tube to pumb some air in .
baggie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 18:48   #18
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Thanks Karl

The cast is loose around the leg up to the knee from above the ankle but the actual ankle is held in tight. Its only been on for 24 hours is this normal or does she need to go back?

Ken
Well, without being there I can only give very vague advice, but as long as the ankle feels secure it should be fine. If your wife can feel the ankle moving then go back. Oh, also, if the opposite happens (it gets tighter), if there are pins and needles/loss of sensation/lots of new pain, also need to go back. Sometimes plasters need to be split if the limb swells a lot.

Karl
Old 4th March 2010, 18:52   #19
Simon
Banned

-

Very sorry to hear of Doreen's accident. Best wishes to her (and yourself) from me.

I'm afraid I cannot give any more advice but quite often bones can take upwards of 6 weeks to heal but many months before full strength is restored. Best advice is (as I'm sure you know) take it steady and don't do anything silly like absailing or the like
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 18:54   #20
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

Wink Me too... but perhaps too much information

I fell and broke my Left Fibula and tore the ligament 2 Oct 2009. Hospital within the hour, after assessment transferred to the major hospital who could handle the severity of the break, some 30 miles away. The leg was x-rayed and then plastered in a cast that gave support and immobility from just below the knee, it was only solid at the back of the leg and below the foot, almost half a full cast really, the support was then covered by elasticated bandage wound round the leg. Operated on the break on the Tuesday evening after the swelling had gone down a little. Op took 45 mins. after I had an epidural injection, during which we the anaesthetist and I discussed football!!! One hour for recovery while the staff had dinner and I was back on the ward. They had plated and screwed the break, in which the bones had moved sideways and repaired the torn ligament. The incisions were 'repaired' with stainless clips. They re-used the cast, looking at the 'damage' every day and applying massage to the leg and foot with a cream. I was moved back to the original local hospital on the Friday and sent home on Tuesday 13 Oct. During the time in hospital I was encouraged to keep flexing my toes etc. and I believe that this was the primary cause of my relatively quick recovery.
I saw the practice nurse at my local GP's surgery twice a week, where she examined the dressing and massaged the calf and foot. I was also allowed to take the cast off in the evenings and shower when I wanted to.
Clips were out on the 29 Oct. saw the surgeon who said come back in a month without the crutches. Which is just what happened, more xrays to check and he signed me off, in just under 9 weeks after the fall.
I must say that the care, which initially seemed to be uncaring, was fundamental in my recovery.
I am a 70 year old, slightly overweight and not very active these days. All this happened in Central Portugal where care has to be paid for, even within the Health Service. The xrays cost 2.40 euros, Hospitalisation and medication [pain killers] 10 euros and transportation between hospitals 4 euros.
I was back on my feet without a thought of it by mid Dec. and in January went 10 pin bowling. OK it still gets tired and the ankle swells on occasions but it has repaired very well. We live upstairs in our villa, as is the norm, so I have to go up and down stairs about 4 times a day, driving from when the doc said no more treatment required.
It was a very bad break, looking at the xrays, but recovery in my case was due to determination, a good wife who took on more than she might have been expected to normally do and a stress free life out here.
Chin up, recovery can be made quickly, given the right circumstances.
[pictures available, if reqd.]
Cheers,
Martin
More Information -> If you are advised that the leg be 'elevated' then may I suggest that this be done... Keep the damaged ankle higher than the hips when seated, not easy to do and remain comfortable, but essential, also if possible, sleep with the leg on a pillow, will aid and speed recovery, I can assure you...

Last edited by Time Searcher; 4th March 2010 at 21:15.. Reason: Supplemental information
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote