Notices

Old 29th July 2016, 12:26   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
What is the issue here ? We are British by birth, or by Commonwealth....

But in my mind, it matters not where you are from, by ethnic birth or otherwise,... if you are in our lands and accept the host country then you are British... Where lies the problem ?

The last 3 days I spent with a UK naturalised Mali, 2nd & 3rd+ generation Asians (Western & Eastern) & Welsh... Oh and a few English... We got on great together and a camerarderie was a natural process...

The end of it all is that WE are all Homo Sapiens (Human) and we can all live together, regardless of race, colour or creed... It is only a sick, misguided "individuals/group" who create an issue...

(I post this, not as a Moderator, but purely as an individual)
May I attempt a tune-up?

"But in my mind, it matters not where you are from, by ethnic birth or otherwise,... if you are in our lands and accept the host country then you are British... Where lies the problem ?"

I don't agree that (seemingly) ethnic origin should be absorbed and lost in becoming a label. We all benefit by the introduction of varied influences and they all should be encouraged. UK celebrates the diverse culture of four regions/countries already, each of those countries might rightly consider themselves Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English individually but British united in the world. The same should apply to other origins equally - nowt wrong with associating oneself with familial or ethnic custom. If integration is the aim, and it should be, assimilation should not mean absorption.

"The last 3 days I spent with a UK naturalised Mali, 2nd & 3rd+ generation Asians (Western & Eastern) & Welsh... Oh and a few English... We got on great together and a camerarderie was a natural process..."

That proves it!
Old 29th July 2016, 12:38   #22
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
May I attempt a tune-up?

"But in my mind, it matters not where you are from, by ethnic birth or otherwise,... if you are in our lands and accept the host country then you are British... Where lies the problem ?"

I don't agree that (seemingly) ethnic origin should be absorbed and lost in becoming a label. We all benefit by the introduction of varied influences and they all should be encouraged. UK celebrates the diverse culture of four regions/countries already, each of those countries might rightly consider themselves Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English individually but British united in the world. The same should apply to other origins equally - nowt wrong with associating oneself with familial or ethnic custom. If integration is the aim, and it should be, assimilation should not mean absorption.

"The last 3 days I spent with a UK naturalised Mali, 2nd & 3rd+ generation Asians (Western & Eastern) & Welsh... Oh and a few English... We got on great together and a camerarderie was a natural process..."

That proves it!

I knew it the Borgs out of Star Trek are trying to assimilate, I can be one of several million,

Rev 1.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 13:18   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I did a bit of tracing of family history back through the years and very interesting it was too. I wasn't able to trace my mothers (Yorkshire) family back that far, just to around 1870-ish.

My father and his predecessors were much, much easier. They were from the Norfolk/ Suffolk border and the entire family migrated up here to Leeds beginning in around 1850, to work on the massively expanding railways. They were traceable back to the 1500's. Prior to that, they were part of the Norman invasion or the migration post the invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
That would make you CELTIC as anybody here before 1707AD was just a bit of this bit of that, Britain wasn't formed until May 1 1707

I'm descended from Vikings btw
My understanding was that the Celts were pushed north of the border, to the west in Wales (Ireland?) and to the south west into Cornwall.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th July 2016 at 03:02.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 14:11   #24
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My understanding was that the Celts were pushed north of the border, to the west in Wales (Ireland?) and to the south west into Cornwall.
So what your saying is,we were put out to the reservations as the Red Indians were in USA. Where is Sitting Bull when you need him.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 14:22   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
https://youtu.be/F3_MfDYVKlg
I am African by decent, where we all came from.
Ken.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Africans.html

This study Ken, suggests that borders people could be descended from Africans who patrolled Hadrians Wall 2,000 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I would like to add that opening post was done in jest, bored, no sport on tv so thought i would start up a discussion. BTW i am 2 parts Irish on my paternal side 1 part Cornwall and 1 part Herefordshire on my maternal side, so i am as much of a mongrel as everyone.
I am 2 parts Irish and part Welsh. I could apply for the Irish passport, but I don't think I would use it

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th July 2016 at 03:01.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 14:42   #26
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Born in Helensbrough, Scotland to English parents who's parents and their parents before them were also English.
Moved to Rosyth also in Scotland.
Moved to Plymouth, Devon when I was three,

Then moved to Tottenham, London when I was five, then Cheshunt, Hertfordshire followed by Ware and Hunsdon also in Hertfordshire.

Finally moved to Sunny Clacton Essex where I have been ever since .......its been a journey and I consider myself British, not English
Old 29th July 2016, 15:11   #27
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

Pure Cornish back as far as mid 1400`s relatives in most of the churchyards of west Cornwall
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 15:26   #28
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Relatives by name or can you prove the line?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 16:07   #29
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Born in Helensbrough, Scotland to English parents who's parents and their parents before them were also English.
Moved to Rosyth also in Scotland.
Moved to Plymouth, Devon when I was three,

Then moved to Tottenham, London when I was five, then Cheshunt, Hertfordshire followed by Ware and Hunsdon also in Hertfordshire.

Finally moved to Sunny Clacton Essex where I have been ever since .......its been a journey and I consider myself British, not English
Your Scottish .

Land of your birth and formative years .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengar View Post
Pure Cornish back as far as mid 1400`s relatives in most of the churchyards of west Cornwall
Pirates and smugglers .

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th July 2016 at 02:59.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 16:13   #30
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Your Scottish .

Land of your birth and formative years .
I will be in a fortnight's time

Have you decided where we're going Saturday night ?