Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th August 2012, 15:43   #1
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Unhappy Broken rear suspension spring?

I've spotted something odd about our ZTT - it seems to be sitting a bit lower on the rear nearside than it is on the offside rear.

It has one finger clearance on the nearside between the tyre and the wheel arch above, whereas on the offside it's two finger clearance.

I have a nasty feeling that the spring has fractured.

How common is this problem? I need to take the wheel off when I get a chance - is the fracture usually obvious - and how much work is it to replace?

Thanks chaps!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 15:52   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Springs usually break at the bottom and it's hard to detect unless you remove a road wheel and inspect it.

Springs do break,common to all cars.Springs are recommended to be replaced in pairs if funds permit..Or if your on a budget,change the broken one.

If you remove the rear seat cushion,you will find the spring specification for when ordering a replacement.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 16:00   #3
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Thanks Pab. I'll take off a wheel at the weekend and have a look. I figured that these springs would need to be replaced in pairs.

A bit annoying it must be said - the car appears to be in a phase of its existance when it is haemorrhaging cash The wife is threatening to get rid of it - which would be a great shame, as I can't imagine anything as capable or characterful to replace it with (short of a Landrover!)
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 20:20   #4
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Have just replaced my rear spring on my ZT, it had snapped in the middle and you could see it through the wheel.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 20:43   #5
maciejk
Avid contributor

99 Rover 75 CDT

guys is it okay to drive if both rear springs are broken off at the bottom like in this picture these are not my springs only similar visually, mine are in place still
Old 20th December 2014, 23:24   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciejk View Post
guys is it okay to drive if both rear springs are broken off at the bottom like in this picture these are not my springs only similar visually, mine are in place still
My ZT's currently in the garage for all four springs being replaced. My rear springs had snapped at the bottom in a similar place to the ones in your photo but the coils hadnt moved apart or gone out of line so didnt drop the rear of the car. However it caused horrendous vibrating of the steering wheel and made the car a little unstable and a bit scary at times to drive. Car didn't feel like itself at all. So from my experience id say not too safe to drive on snapped springs.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:05   #7
davor.091
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1999.Saloon Club Old English White-'Cowley'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW8mFEaRMv4
video here :xmas-smiley-024:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
I've spotted something odd about our ZTT - it seems to be sitting a bit lower on the rear nearside than it is on the offside rear.

It has one finger clearance on the nearside between the tyre and the wheel arch above, whereas on the offside it's two finger clearance.

I have a nasty feeling that the spring has fractured.

How common is this problem? I need to take the wheel off when I get a chance - is the fracture usually obvious - and how much work is it to replace?

Thanks chaps!
duble exhaust pipes. instrument cluster with lcd (facelift type)
davor.091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:24   #8
GrandTourer
Regular poster

Rover 75 cdti auto

I had my previous Rover 75 for four years and got through three rear springs. As a part-time musician I'm often carrying a lot of heavy equipment in the boot and rear seat. My local garage owner who also has a 75, said that the springs have quite a taper so they are quite thin at the end and prone to snapping. You will definitely notice a difference in handling with a broken spring.
GrandTourer is offline   Reply With Quote