Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2019, 19:37   #101
Matt G
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+ (Development car), mg zt 190SE (Twilight), MG ZS 180

Default BU04 YHC & BU04 Factory Cars- Does Anyone know anything about their Early MG History

Hi All

Not sure if this is the right post to write on but both these cars where originally registered to MG Rover and I wonder if anyone on the forum knows anything about there early history within the MG Rover group and what role they may have played in the factory or if there is anything quirky about them.

I do have a little info on them see below, but nothing more specific.

The grey 2004 MK2 MG ZT BU04 YHC is registered as a 190+ but kitted out to an SE specification

-Manufactured - December 2003 - 5 months before the Mk2's launched and -definitely made as a MK2

-Registered to MG Rover, Engineering Fleet Control, 350 Groveley Lane - June 2004
-Sold - February 2005- Just before the company dissolved with only 17 miles on the clock.

I wonder could this of been some sort of Mock up or Measurements Development Vehicle? Its registration is only 8 up the sequencing of one of the Flight shed rover 75's frequently photographed and with only 17 miles on the clock at 15 months old, it certainly did not get much use.

The second car is a 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary, which was manufactured and registered May 2004 to MG Rover group Company Vehicles

-Sold- November 2004- 6 months later with only 263 miles on the clock.

Again very little mileage and I think one of the first contemporary's produced, the Service book is just stamped "Phoenix".

They could simply of been company cars, but I just wondered if there are any ex employees in the club who may just know something about them, I would be really interested to hear any information on them.

thanks in advance

Matt
Matt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 15:01   #102
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I own BX04 YDF, a Celestial Blue ZT-T 190 and built to a very high spec and rolled off the line on 22nd January 2004. It is stamped in the ha ebook as Press Garage so it was a special car hand finished in the Flight Shed. Now I have spoke with a few people about those cars, and there was a batch of MkI cars that were facelifted in the Flight Shed as Zeds ready to showcase the new Mark 2 versions.
Out of these cars, they were all Monogram painted cars, registered at the same time and include brochure Press Cars and also the ZT 260 in Aurora that was on Top Gear.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 17:31   #103
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

The green jtd powered tourer is in NI now.

https://youtu.be/D0VkkkwQegM

It actually drives really well, the engine code as we discovered was a Vectra C variation of the engine. 150bhp version of the engine.

Cars now in long term storage, and is a fantastic piece of rover history.

https://youtu.be/9p5ecD3NiUM

https://youtu.be/WpFhFiJPCzo

Mark goes into a lot of the technical stuff about it all.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 18:09   #104
Matt G
Regular poster

Thanks canonite and Colin_NI for the responses, most appreciated!!

The video about the Vauxhall Diesel engined Rover 75 made interesting viewing. Maybe MGR where doing a direct comparison between the Fiat and The Vauxhall’s Diesel engines, to replace the BMW unit in the future.

It’s also interesting that your Celestial MG ZT was built at a similar time and was for the MK2 press launch. From previous cars I have seen the service book is normally stamped MGR Press Garage if it was a press car, is that the same for yours? also was your first registration to “Engineering Fleet Control” or Mg Rover Company Vehicles”?

That’s what made me think my MG ZT may not have gone down that route as it, just has a signature of “Calam” I think (hRd to read) and date in the service book . The other Rover 75 is simply stamped “Phoenix”.

Maybe your right and mine was built for that purpose and never made it too launch.

I have found some dates written in “white pen” just like the video underneath, but again that may have just been production markings.

Thanks again interesting stuff.

Regards

Matt
Old 12th June 2019, 22:04   #105
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

The fait jtd engine is the Vectra engine I'm 150 bhp form, the Vectra C 8v and 16v engines where fait designed originally and went into Saab, opel vauxhall, fait, alfa etc.

I suspect it was a Vectra unit specification die to the ease of which they could find a Vectra specific unit over alfa / fait in the UK.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 12:54   #106
Canonite
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Thanks canonite and Colin_NI for the responses, most appreciated!!

...It’s also interesting that your Celestial MG ZT was built at a similar time and was for the MK2 press launch. From previous cars I have seen the service book is normally stamped MGR Press Garage if it was a press car, is that the same for yours? also was your first registration to “Engineering Fleet Control” or Mg Rover Company Vehicles”?

That’s what made me think my MG ZT may not have gone down that route as it, just has a signature of “Calam” I think (hRd to read) and date in the service book . The other Rover 75 is simply stamped “Phoenix”.

Maybe your right and mine was built for that purpose and never made it too launch.

I have found some dates written in “white pen” just like the video underneath, but again that may have just been production markings.

Thanks again interesting stuff.

Regards

Matt
Matt, my car is stamped in the handbook ‘MG Rover Group Ltd - Press Garage’

I’d be interested in finding out who was the first registered owner of my car, it was featured in WhatCar shortly after registration so it was definitely used by Longbridge for that purpose. I think the BX04 monogram Press Garage cars that were done in the lead up to the Facelift launch, were a last ditch attempt at driving sales prior to the collapse with a new revised look, hence why the cars were built close to SE specs with lots of options.
Old 13th June 2019, 16:57   #107
Matt G
Regular poster

Thanks Canonite for the information.

That completely re affirms yours is definitely a press car , but suggests mine was not as I have all the service history and not one piece of paper says MG Press garages on it. This leaves me back at square one, unless mine was either heading that way and got scrubbed or it’s purpose was different. It still doesn’t explain why it spent 15 months at MG Rover and only achieved 17 miles. If it had been a potential failed press vehicle surely it would of been sold off sooner.

The other weird thing is it’s number plate BU04 YHC very much falls in sequence with a number of MGR cars which sat in the flight shed ( and then subsequently in the yard ) and where ultimately scrapped by SAIC years later rather than sold on, such as the photographed BU04 YGT, BU04 YHF and BU04 YHP, long wheel based 75, and a couple of Zt 260’s

I would love to know if yours was also registered to “ MG Rover Engineering Fleet Control” initially as that would help create some confirmation either way. In fact I would love to know if anyone from the works can confirm that is the flight shed address, certainly the entrance used to be on Groveley Lane.

For your benefit you can find out initial/previous owners for just £5 by completing the DVLA V888 form. Due to Data protection they will only send you information about the previous owner if they are were a company not an individual, so should work in your case. Also note they only accept cheques.

Rgds

Matt
Old 13th June 2019, 17:05   #108
Canonite
This is my second home

I’ve submitted that form two days ago so hopefully they will let me know.
If you drop me a PM I can contact you more directly to discuss my other findings