Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2018, 19:01   #1
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts
Default New Car Time?

Not really! But we (Mrs Teflon & I) paid an afternoon visit to Brooklands Museum today. On the way, we stopped off to have a nosey around Mercedes Benz World.

A number of very expensive cars to look at, among which was this one:

(pics taken on 'phone, so not too great!)

It was one of the less expensive cars, priced at a modest £125K on the road, and very nice it was too . The thing that really bugged me though, was that the ongoing VED cost for this car was quoted as £140. That's less than half the cost for my 2.0 Rover .

Given the potentially lower day to day running costs, I did consider making a part exchange offer for the car. I was thinking my car for the Merc, plus a cash lump sum from them to reflect the differing value between the current run of the mill German car, and the fast appreciating (!) classical British motor car they would be getting .

They were very busy though, so in the end, we went on to Brooklands and had a very nice ride in an old bus:

The Mercedes guys will be kicking themselves when they realise they missed out .

That VED cost though - really doesn't seem fair Grrrrr

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 19:13   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Glad they missed out on that deal.

233,250. And that was our first event of 2024.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 19:17   #3
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

What a beautiful ... bus!!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 19:47   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
What a beautiful ... bus!!
It was rather nice. Doesn't seem that long ago that you would see tham in service.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 20th October 2018, 20:25   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Don’t get me started on VED charges.
I too grudge paying out for the V6 Conny which is more than double the cost of our CLS, it’s absolutely crazy.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 20:30   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

The grille look very menacing.....for a bus
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 21:11   #7
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
It was rather nice. Doesn't seem that long ago that you would see tham in service.

Cliff
Before my time but I drove more modern buses - not modern like you see now but more modern than that one. My Dad drove those two man buses and often talks fondly of it. Interestingly, there was a bus route which ran past our house when I was a kid and my Dad used to beep his horn as he flew past in the early evenings - my mum used to say, 'there's your Dad!' as we were having tea in the kitchen. Years later I drove that same bus route and beeped my horn to (unfortunately only) my Dad as I flew past - seems like a lifetime ago now as I took up an interesting career world's apart. I drove some buses during my time, which had over 2 million miles on the clock! They'd been running every day bar the odd repair for the best part of 30 Years! You could always tell because you'd let your foot off the break in an automatic on a hill and it'd roll backwards lol. We sold some of them to India where they apparently used them for a million or so more miles before cutting the top off, putting the engine in the back of the roof and using them as a boat!! I have a picture somewhere ... Nobody ever talked about the moon club with old buses ...
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 22:03   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
You can still enjoy the original Routemaster on route 15 from Aldwych to Tower Hill, complete with conductor.

Go for it Cliff whilst you still can.

Simon
Old 21st October 2018, 04:22   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Don’t get me started on VED charges, a friend has just bought a couple of year old Skoda diesel and it has FREE VED !

No wonder the car buying public is so confused with the government sending out these mixed messages !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 10:41   #10
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
The grille look very menacing.....for a bus
It's how all buses should look in my view .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Before my time but I drove more modern buses - not modern like you see now but more modern than that one. My Dad drove those two man buses and often talks fondly of it. Interestingly, there was a bus route which ran past our house when I was a kid and my Dad used to beep his horn as he flew past in the early evenings - my mum used to say, 'there's your Dad!' as we were having tea in the kitchen. Years later I drove that same bus route and beeped my horn to (unfortunately only) my Dad as I flew past - seems like a lifetime ago now as I took up an interesting career world's apart. I drove some buses during my time, which had over 2 million miles on the clock! They'd been running every day bar the odd repair for the best part of 30 Years! You could always tell because you'd let your foot off the break in an automatic on a hill and it'd roll backwards lol. We sold some of them to India where they apparently used them for a million or so more miles before cutting the top off, putting the engine in the back of the roof and using them as a boat!! I have a picture somewhere ... Nobody ever talked about the moon club with old buses ...
Some fascinating memories there. I had a couple of uncles who were "on the buses" in the Manchester area in the early 60's. I remember my first visit up there as a small boy, I was astonished to see blue buses. Couldn't believe it. 'Round our way in Surrey, we had either traditional red buses, or "Green Line" buses (which were green, of course) and I was firmly convinced that all buses, every where in the world, were the same colour. Witchcraft to a small boy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You can still enjoy the original Routemaster on route 15 from Aldwych to Tower Hill, complete with conductor. ..........
Simon
I had no idea, I thought they were all taken out of service some while back. Nice to know that some are still in proper use .

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Don’t get me started on VED charges, a friend has just bought a couple of year old Skoda diesel and it has FREE VED !

No wonder the car buying public is so confused with the government sending out these mixed messages !
That was my thoughts exactly. For all the expensive cars they had on show, there where none that had ongoing VED costs as high as my Rover.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6