Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2018, 20:03   #11
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I guess, at the end of the day, if the original Rover engineers thought they could get more power AND better MPG simply by using a different air filter arrangement then surely they would.

I'm also a Ford owner and this question comes up frequently regarding older Zetec engines. The consensus, by those far more experienced and knowledgeable than i'll ever be is that you need to do a lot to an engines ability to consume fuel before lack of fresh air becomes the restriction.

So, in reality, a well set up V6 on an autobox will not be held back by a lack of fresh air under normal conditions. As suggested, getting the gases out is probably the best place to start before you try to get more O2 in. And then that would probably come after gas-flowing heads followed by remapping and rolling road adjustment.

Each to their own of course but if you want a faster car, buy a faster car (no offence intended). Or try Nitrous

vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 21:23   #12
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
Indeed difference with the 160 airbox is the trumpet which can be easily removed.

But I allowed myself to broaden the matter if I do not spoil this thread, with all kinds of boxes & filters.

Anyway to begin with is there any difference between a 190 air box as told by @rab60bit and the V6 2.5 177/180 air box?
The 190 airbox (and filter) is the same animal as the standard 2.5 airbox but post filter is a bigger outlet and the shannon tube is 90mm diameter (vs 80mm, I think that = +26% volume) and the shannon tube front end is an entirely different design - bit like a big plenum chamber facing the ambient air instead of a small vertical orieneted inverted ram tube.
For me that means quite a bit more air intake volume. I believe the 190 has hotter inlet cams which probably benefit from the increase of intake air - and there's no such thing as a free dinner, so higher fuel consumption for a snappier performance from a 190.
The 190 exhaust appears to be the same as the 177 2.5 version so - does it seem reasonable to expect perhaps 180-183ps by just getting more air into the mix?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote