Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2017, 15:14   #11
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

I was overjoyed this Christmas when my 9 year old daughter, rather than asking for an upgrade to her ageing tablet, or other mundane items, she asked for Wow Electronics. We got her the Cambridge Explorer kit, which based on reviews was overall better value, but she really loves it, and it has so many different projects to try out should keep her busy for a while! Can be obtained for less than amazon currently have it listed. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-B.../dp/B0012PROFQ
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 16:00   #12
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

When you mention impact driver nowadays, the mind instantly visualises the 240v variety, but don't forget the old fashioned type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302074528304
that were powered by the largest lump hammer you can comfortably wield.
I too snapped my socket bar in the same way you just did, in my case, trying to release the wheel bolts.
In the end, just one smack with a 5lbs lump hammer was all that was required to release each bolt, (including the locking ones)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 20:24   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Funnily enough my father has been thinking of one of these from screw fix , to use instead of putting a lighting in his shed.

sent from my ZT

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 21:31   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have just put up the mains version of this (or it appears to be the mains one) and it is very impressive. Better than I thought. For me I would always forget to charge it. So reinstated the electrics into my shed.

Tried to convince him to do the same, as for him it is literally using the scraps left over from my job and drilling two holes! But I will let him get it, then decide to put the electric in, and I will buy his rechargeable one to use as a work light lol. I imagine too, it will be good for finding the swirl marks on paintwork too (not perfect, but more than adequate for my needs)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 11:33   #15
anddyy
Avid contributor

mg zt 180+

I can vouch for the screwfix worklight light, I bought the same one from b&q (staff discount at time made it cheaper), its never let me down and took some abuse being dropped from loft hatch several times and covered in all fluids that can come out of a car and came in very handy when welding under the van.

3 hour battery life on average, very rare it's not lasted long enough when doing jobs on the car at night.

The amount of light they give out is impressive for the size.
anddyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 15:52   #16
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I'm always looking for new ways of designing and adapting tools, I really enjoy coming up with new ways of using and fixing one's tools. My little workshop is full of gadgets and gizmo's, keeps me busy, stops me getting bored.

I have two of those work-lights from Screwfix, I picked them up at £10 each when on sale, I posted the deal on here. They work well as you say, extremely bright and robust, and they even come with a 2 year warranty.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 17:26   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

There is nothing worst than slipping sliding around on a breakers yard oil filled floor on a cold wet miserable day.
My local has a very nice Cafe to take shelter in, they actually do some nice food.

That is a good price for the 17" Straight Jon, my local takes them off all vehicles and sell's them in the Wheel and Tyre section, you can never get a good bargain there though.

As for the Screwfix light, both mine will lose charge if not used for say 4 weeks, they go flat.

Nice barn find Jon.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 09:36   #18
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

If anyone is in need of a good worklight I'd recommend popping to your local Homebase and picking up one of these

I got one a while ago and it's great. Rechargeable, can select 3 modes of illumination and also has magnets on the rear so can stick to car body panels, underneath bonnet, garage door etc. and it's called a "Batlight" so very Gadget sounding too lol
Just £15

BATLIGHT
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 21:40   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I wonder if everybody knows what a Wobble bar extension is.----

I have some Halford ones and very handy they are too.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 22:11   #20
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Not a normal tool as such, but I often find having a cheap digi-camera useful when disassembling something I might struggle to later rebuild.

Today I struggled to remember how to remove the cover from my caravan's space heater. Its paint work was looking a bit worse for wear and I had picked up a spray can to improve its looks. I remember having taken it off last year and struggled then to work out how, just to give it a clean out and check. Despite the time I had spent last year trying to get the cover off, by this year I had forgotten again. A simple photo showing the fixings would have saved me an awful lot of time today. It was in fact quite simple, just a strong spring catch in each top corner, with two metal hooks holding the bottom edges. It just needed the courage to tug hard at the top, harder than you would normally expect to tug it.

Sanded, resprayed and back on, it looks much tidier.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote