Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2015, 18:06   #11
stemorty
Avid contributor

75 saloon , Norton Atlas

Cant find my invoice but i recall about 180 quid or thereabouts
stemorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:18   #12
Bartje
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi Auto

Last week I drove my MG CDTi to the UK to visit the Mini Cooper day in Beaulieu in the new forest. When I went to see a friend in Gillingham first I noticed the well known clacking noise which meant a broken crankshaft pulley Not something you want to experience when you're 500 kms from home !
Fortunately a friend from a local garage could arrange a new pulley, the BGA one, and it was fitted within an hour.

After 2 days of driving I was in the queue at the Dover port to get the ferry back, and when I started the car i heard a weird "plopping" noise and instantly the "charge fault" message appeared on my IPK A quick look under the bonnet revealed that the belt came off.

I drove the car onto the ferry without power steering, and in France I tried to see how far I could come without power steering and charging and waterpump. As long as i stayed below 40 km/h it was fine, but above that the engine temperature went up VERY FAST, so eventually I stopped on a parking and called my insurance.
After a lot of hassle the car was left in France and now, a week later brought back home to see what the problem was.

I was stunned to see the brand new BGA pulley had come apart !! The steel inner piece where the bolt goes through was still sturdy fitted to the crankshaft, but the rest of the pulley had come aside about 3 cm's, causing the belts to come off, and the entire outer piece of the pulley was hitting against the body!

2 days old.. about 600km driven with it and it came apart ?? Nice quality part.. BGA NOT!

Now I'm back in Holland with a broken BGA pulley, need to find a new one locally and then see if I can get a refund on the pulley I bought in the UK..

Needless to say I'm NOT very happy with the quality of BGA!
Bartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:25   #13
simon hubbard
Avid contributor

Rover Vitesse Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemorty View Post
Cant find my invoice but i recall about 180 quid or thereabouts
I had similar experience, I did not feel qualified enough to change it myself and it cost £190.

Kind regards

Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Auto Tourer - 2002
simon hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:03   #14
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

I also had fitted a BGA pulley (due to lack of finances at the time) which lasted for only four months before failing - replaced under warranty (but still had to stand another lot of fitting costs). Will see how this one goes, but will def be looking at Corteco if this one fails.

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:23   #15
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

A Corteco pulley from Island 4X4 is £108 inc VAT and postage: drive belts from them are a very good price too - look for the listings for TD4.
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:16   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalogg View Post
Update on my clattering noise:
Breakdown mechanic diagnosed broken timing chain tensioner on basis that noise is coming from top of engine rather than lower down.
Car now recovered to Wales. My garage have had a look and excluded external cause ie crank pulley, agreeing with London mechanic that the problem is top of engine and internal.
Now awaiting estimate to open up and fix possible broken tensioner - sounds expensive.
Now seriously considering selling car as is although I have put a fair bit of money into it over past 18 months.
You haven't told us what it was in the end.--- Please report back.-
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 19:23   #17
Annalogg

Rover 75 CDT

Just realised I haven't reported back - better late than never? It was the crankshaft pulley or at least that is what my local garage replaced - together with the timing chain guide. Cost (including engine oil and filter change) £565. Yes I thought that was expensive too but I am English and I was living in West Wales (at the time).
Annalogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 08:28   #18
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Just realised I haven't reported back - better late than never? It was the crankshaft pulley or at least that is what my local garage replaced - together with the timing chain guide. Cost (including engine oil and filter change) £565. Yes I thought that was expensive too but I am English and I was living in West Wales (at the time).

40 months???

WOW!
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 13:02   #19
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Just for comparison, this is the sound of a worn water pump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHeZmkcyrs

From an old 2015 thread would this be okay to drive 50 odd miles. making this noise.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 15:23   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Well now, you have just earned your first thanks.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote