Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2012, 00:16   #31
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Hmmm I once got 44.1mpg on a long trip (~230ish miles) on the computer, wish I had done a brim-to-brim for that one.

Going at 50mph through the motorway roadworks (esp. those darned ones on the M1 in Buckinghamshire!) seems to make quite an improvement to the computer's mpg reading.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 22:18   #32
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Minimum consumption occurs with steady motoring, in top gear and at a point called the minimum specific fuel consumption. For a typical petrol engine this occurs between and 1/3 and a 1/2 of maximum engine speed. A power curve looks like the profile of a mountain, whereas specific fuel consumption looks like the valley between two mountains. The point at the bottom is the minimum specific fuel consumption and that is the point whereby minimum fuel consumption occurs when compared to power produced. This is a dyno figure, on the road many other factors combine to increase fuel consumption, air resistance, how slipperey the car is through the air for a given speed, rolling resistance (tyres, hub bearings), the weight of the car, drag that tends to pull on the rear of the car as it is pushed through the air, air pressure. Taking all these things into account I have found the best ecconomy from my 2.5 is achieved at around 2,500 revs in top gear.

This illustrates what a specific fuel consumtion curve looks like

Pleased you posted this graph which gives the reason why I seemed to be getting better consumption at a higher speed, 42mpg at average speed of 72mph over 80 miles of manily mway driving, a figure disputed when I posted this last week (search KV6 petrol consumption, I think)

almost repeated it today from Scotch Corner to Leeds outskirts driving at 70 (50 in roadworks) getting 42.8mpg. I didn't record the average speed, but certainly less than 70.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:09   #33
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Good grief........... how many more 190 mpg posts are there going to be ?

If you have a 190............ who gives 2 hoots about the MPG !?!?!?!

I have a 190 Ztt which will soon be for sale..... why ? MPG ??? NO.

I want a saloon LOL

Oh yes..... the Audi is for sale too............doesn't make me smile.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote