Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd August 2019, 01:42   #1
Polox
Regular poster

2001 and 2004 Rover 75's

Default Traction Control Actuator Motor

I have read much on this. My TC light in 2001 Rover 75 has always been on. In the past in Australia was not a RWC ( Roadworthy Certificate ) but now is. Mine makes very short wirrr!! when ignition on so assume power and fuse ok. Logic is broken teeth. I cannot move the plastic cogged wheel at all at inspection point. I removed from bracket with throttle still connected to have a good look. The cap looks very permanently fixed by my way of thinking so not removable as others seem to have done unless some previous owner glued shut!!
Logic to me is a whole new or secondhand motor or maybe rewrite ZCS codes in a T4 session as I have read. Any other solutions to get rid of the TC light!!!
Polox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:42   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Just get one of these, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Serie...YAAOSwSzpbNnmo

Ignore the cruise control description, it will fit but you'll need to swop the cables over as the BMW one is too short, simple job done it myself.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:22   #3
Polox
Regular poster

2001 and 2004 Rover 75's

Thanks Vitesse.
So assume I use the existing cable. Is it as simple as taking the old motor off the brackets and fitting the replacement which I assume fits the same brackets as the old. Can I do this by leaving the existing throttle cable connected to the secondary throttle and just change over at the actuator end? Also how easy is it to disconnect the throttle from the old actuator and re connect to the replacement. Any tips or tricks to do this? Many Thanks.
Old 24th August 2019, 07:46   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Answer to just about all - yes. Relatively simple job. Did it about 5 years ago so memory fading, but I believe I chose to disconnect the cable at the secondary throttle as I wanted to do the job on the workbench. Once you get the "new" one with the cat flap that opens all should be obvious.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2019, 21:36   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

the cog inside the unit has probably snapped a small bit off which then jams the cog up from moving.
This usually causes the cable to snap off on the throttle body end but not always.
Usually if you get the small bit out using some needle nose pliers , the unit may still work.
The small bit that breaks off is usually the part of the cog with a small rubber stopper on it but it work without it and thus the unit will do its normal startup check cancelling out the tc warning light.
Were lucky over here in the west, no yearly rwc !!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 09:57   #6
Polox
Regular poster

2001 and 2004 Rover 75's

Hi Genkp.
I hear what you say but the challenge is getting into the unit in the first place. the Cog is definitely jammed just a quick 1sec whirr when ignition on, nothing moves and cable seems intact at throttle end and at actuator end when looking through the inspection window. Getting the lid/cap off the actuator does not look easy almost looks like it is meant to be on permanently.
Old 25th August 2019, 14:27   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Unit off the car, turn upside down and run a Stanley knife around the seal. You can then prise the top off.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote