Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2011, 18:30   #1
xantiaman
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON 2.0 v6 connoisseur

Default 1.8 mis-fire in the morning

hi all i have a w plate 1.8 connie that has developed a mis-fire in the morning...i say in the morning what i should say is the first time the engine is started.the car will misfire for about a mile,it is quite bad and revving the engine will not clear it, after about a mile it clears completly and will not return for the rest of the day but sure enough next morning it has returned.any ideas?
xantiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 21:01   #2
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantiaman View Post
hi all i have a w plate 1.8 connie that has developed a mis-fire in the morning...i say in the morning what i should say is the first time the engine is started.the car will misfire for about a mile,it is quite bad and revving the engine will not clear it, after about a mile it clears completly and will not return for the rest of the day but sure enough next morning it has returned.any ideas?
I've been told as I'm trying to trace a water leak that a leaking inlet maifold gasket can leak internally to the cylinders and cause ruff running until in is all burnt away, is there steam at rear exhaust?
Old 13th June 2011, 21:36   #3
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

that is quite possible ,or there is a leak/crack in the inlet manifold which is drawing more un monitored air causing an in balance in the air/ fuel ratio and closes as the engine warms up with the thermal expansion
Old 14th June 2011, 12:57   #4
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

if it only happens in the morning then look at heat or moisture being involved somehow. So working off that -
You could try spraying some water repellent liquid onto the ignition parts on the engine before setting off in the morning and see if that makes a difference, before attempting anything else.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:02   #5
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Default [COLOR="Red"]Urgent Level Check[/COLOR]

Hi
Have you checked the Coolant Level. Your symptoms sound very like a leaking Inlet Manifold Joint which normally affects Nos. 1 and 4 Cylinders, causing dampness within the Cylinders until it is burnt off.
Check Coolant level asap, and if low have the Inlet Manifold joint renewed with the latest type Joint, Part No. LKJ101110 Dark Grey/Black in colour available from Rimmers etc..
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 14th June 2011 at 16:08..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 10:17   #6
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
Hi
Have you checked the Coolant Level. Your symptoms sound very like a leaking Inlet Manifold Joint which normally affects Nos. 1 and 4 Cylinders, causing dampness within the Cylinders until it is burnt off.
Check Coolant level asap, and if low have the Inlet Manifold joint renewed with the latest type Joint, Part No. LKJ101110 Dark Grey/Black in colour available from Rimmers etc..
Regards,
Telfer.
Hi Telfer...I have one of these gaskets, made of "Viton" it's the latest type, i do not have a leak, and the gasket is in the boot just now, however i get my car serviced twice a year, would it be worth retro fitting which is what i am keen to do, or wait until the original leaks, i do know they are prone to leak causing the OPs symptoms
Old 17th June 2011, 12:32   #7
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
Hi Telfer...I have one of these gaskets, made of "Viton" it's the latest type, i do not have a leak, and the gasket is in the boot just now, however i get my car serviced twice a year, would it be worth retro fitting which is what i am keen to do, or wait until the original leaks, i do know they are prone to leak causing the OPs symptoms
Hi Graham,
If there are no leaks at present, I would be inclined to leave well alone.
However, there is a body of opinion that the Inlet Manifold Joint should be treated as a service item, and renewed every 4 years or so. Now this procedure related to the old original gasket which as you know was made of a lighter material than the updated versions. Hopefully the new heavier Joint will have overcome the problem and should last much longer.
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote