Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2018, 11:53   #31
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

You can buy tyres for the much older vehicles such as Morris 8's etc but they are expensive.
A chap I know who has a Rover P4 bought new tyres and they were very expensive compared to buying tyres for my MG ZT-T.

To give you idea take a look at this website; https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla.../rover/p4.html

So you can see why some are reluctant to buy new tyres.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:01   #32
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have said this before. if you tried riding a motorbike on old tires, even if they looked perfect, you wouldn't last a week. They go hard, and it's like riding on wooden wheels. hardly any grip in the dry never mind the wet.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:17   #33
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I once was given a pair of Clark's shoes. Never been worn, incredibly comfortable, I used them for going out smart casual, which at the time was two or three times a week. Life moved on, and they had been in storage whilst I was away for three years. When I say storage, I mean in the wardrobe of my mother's house. Needing shoes for work and no cash, I remembered there ones retrieved and tried them on. Bliss. Perfect.

The following wearing them to work, feeling proud of myself, and so very comfortable 3 hours of wearing them, walking in the shop I worked in then, I felt like the sole had come off. Looking at the sole, it was still attached, however a huge split had appeared. Yet they looked so perfect. The damage only became evident once pressure and use. The sole was actually similar material to a tyre, but obviously no wires etc

If you have a tyre in storage, even looking perfect, think carefully as when the stresses of being on the road could be lethal.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:09   #34
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have said this before. if you tried riding a motorbike on old tires, even if they looked perfect, you wouldn't last a week. They go hard, and it's like riding on wooden wheels. hardly any grip in the dry never mind the wet.
HI Mike.
I had my tyres fitted today (FL2) the ones that came off had 4mm on two and 3mm on the other two so maybe a good 6 months plus left in them, but as you say no sooner have I had the new ones fitted I can tell the difference in the grip on the road.

At 3718 on the code it states 5yrs 0 weeks.

You have 1 years and 0 weeks left till your tyre is the recommended age of renewal.

MOT next week I at least know the tyres will pass

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd September 2019 at 19:49.. Reason: Spelling
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:39   #35
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Checked mine today,front 30 weeks old and 50 weeks old.
On back,no dot number,only,made in China and made in Thailand.
Hopefully the numbers are on the inside,or is this system is not worldwide.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 00:27   #36
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Checked mine today,front 30 weeks old and 50 weeks old.
On back,no dot number,only,made in China and made in Thailand.
Hopefully the numbers are on the inside,or is this system is not worldwide.
Hi John.
You should find the code on the inside if you can not find it on the outside of the tyre.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 05:55   #37
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I once was given a pair of Clark's shoes. Never been worn, incredibly comfortable, I used them for going out smart casual, which at the time was two or three times a week. Life moved on, and they had been in storage whilst I was away for three years. When I say storage, I mean in the wardrobe of my mother's house. Needing shoes for work and no cash, I remembered there ones retrieved and tried them on. Bliss. Perfect.

The following wearing them to work, feeling proud of myself, and so very comfortable 3 hours of wearing them, walking in the shop I worked in then, I felt like the sole had come off. Looking at the sole, it was still attached, however a huge split had appeared. Yet they looked so perfect. The damage only became evident once pressure and use. The sole was actually similar material to a tyre, but obviously no wires etc

If you have a tyre in storage, even looking perfect, think carefully as when the stresses of being on the road could be lethal.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
This had me in stitches! A few years ago the exact same thing happened to me. I had a pair of brogues in the bottom of my wardrobe that for some reason I hadn't worn for a few years. They looked like brand new. Anyway one day I thought I might just use these shoes, so I put them on and my wife and I jumped in the car and we went to Meadowhall shopping centre. After about 15 mins of walking I one shoe felt a little odd, kind of leaning to one side slightly. We called into the food area for lunch and when I looked down there was green foam falling out of a huge split in the side of the heel. We had a good laugh and decided the best course of action would be to go buy a pair of shoes. While we were looking around shoe shops, the other shoe heel split open and I was a leaving a trail of green debris all over Meadowhall. Eventually, I bought a new pair of shoes and told the lady in the shop I was keeping them on and putting the old pair in the bag. We then walked out of the shop and promptly threw the bag containing the old shoes in the nearest bin. We still laugh about it to this day.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 18:30   #38
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

[QUOTE=Jules;2665954]Tyres in the 80's had a far better rubber quality than today.
We've had to tell a customer his 2 and a half year old Avons on his 75 were well perished between the treads.

On the other hand my 1962 Minivan has Michelin ZX tyres on it 30 years old and absolutely no sign of cracking or perishing. The rubber's still supple.

Have a look at 'The World's Fastest Indian', one of my favourite films, where he polishes his tyres with boot polish to make them supple and fill in the cracks, then gets a kitchen knife and trims them to remove the tread to make them into speedier slicks. Worked for Bert Munro. He made do with old tyres!
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 18:34   #39
ROVER2003

Some tyres are 70 years still going strong it depend how they get looked after

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 4th September 2018, 18:35   #40
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
Some tyres are 70 years still going strong it but still don't get taken off