Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th January 2013, 12:59   #1
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Bridge Cameras - Discuss

I have now owned my first bridge camera for 1 year a Canon SX40 HS. It is light and compact, gets close to the moon and I like its image stability for those long shots. HD video is clear and steady. . I have a spare battery for it and find it lasts me about 1 month in between charges. Canon upgraded the range to the SX50 HS with a more powerful superzoom and added on RAW abilities. Knowing Canon I suspect the SX50 HS will be upgraded again very soon. I got good advice from Canonite Coolcat and Rocket on the forum on what to look for. This helped me decide to try the Canon.

Woof25 is a good mate. He also helped and I know he has a Nikon P510 or is it a P500. He knows. The downside of the SX40 is that it has an electronic view finder, no remote. and it's ability for fast action shots in sequence cannot match its big brother. Grandly has just bought the SX50 and I will be interested to see how he gets on with it. Gary do post up the results.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 7th January 2013 at 13:42..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 14:56   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Gary

How photography has changed over the years since you had your own lab all those years ago doing black and white on film and doing your own developing. Some of the guys here still use film and that is fine.

I held off from going digital as long as I could and bought my first DSLR about 2 years ago. My first SLR was a Zenith E, then a Pentax and a Minolta.

Enjoy your new camera Gary and get clicking!
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:03   #3
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

Default Canon sx50 hs

yes ok Phil will do,i realy needed guidance before i bought the canon sx50 hs as i have been out of this game for such a long time, i have forgotten all my secret settings not that they would be of any use in this day and age,you must bear with me guys i will get pics up but not just yet,need to learn all over again.i don't think i have made a bad choice as the camera pretty well does it all for you these days,[ i can hear you from where i am sitting WRONG]and yes agree i have some catching up to do but am willing to learn,when i think my photo's are worthy then will post photoes up,because i have seen all your wonderful pics been watching for a long time and each and every one of you are good with a camera,and john Atkinson you got a real photographer's eye your composition is perfect,all the best for now guys I WILL BE BACK. GARY. ps just thought of a question what size do you cut your photoes down to i am using 800X600 is that ok?

Last edited by grandy; 7th January 2013 at 17:17..
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 18:26   #4
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Hi gary I tend to use aroun 300x200 generally but I think you can load higher on the forum, Like phil I am not so enamoured by the electonic eye viewer so I often use my Nikon DSLR instead as it normal viwer on that !!!
but both provde good pics I tend to use flash with the bridge camera to fill in on most days now & then sort anything else out in the editing suite !!!.

Like you I believe get the compostion right and the rest will fall into place not always possible of course I realize, and yes I do still yearn for the days when I spent many hours in the dark room dodging and burning my b/w and sepia prints one programme you might like to try thats free gary is Photoscape its excellent and has so many good features including a plethora of filter effects the other one many use is Picasa bith are good and compliment each other so worth trying

Hope to see you at HH soon

Mike
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 18:42   #5
Woof25
Passed Away

Default Done in photoscape

I took this picture 3 years ago in bideford of the kathlenn and may a 19th cent schooner and I thought it would look good as a sepia antiqued print and I used the tools available in photoscape to produce the effects I did leave rear of a car in the pic in case anyone accused me of trying to pass it off as an original which some might !!!
Old 7th January 2013, 18:45   #6
Woof25
Passed Away

sorry file was too big LOL has to size down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900 schooner-1.jpg (133.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 7th January 2013, 19:14   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

It's the one thing I do love about full frame and 35mm, the sensors are large so you get a very good view of the scene through the viewfinder.
I also have a Canon SX30 but never use the EVF, i'm so used to a much larger view I always use the screen instead. I know that uses more battery but at least I can track subjects better. When shooting HD macro I have to make sure i've got the subject in focus as it moves so the EVF is a complete no no for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJtbs...zYtudMp6RuIpTw

It's not that often I take the SX30 now, it all depends what i'm doing. As technology has moved on so much the Panasonic TZ series make a much more pocketable solution for an SLR companion. I generally take 4 cameras out at all times so I have everything covered, but again as I said it depends what i'm shooting.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 09:41   #8
grandy
Passed Away

hi guys,thank you for your posts Phil Alan Mike great stuff i know at the moment i can't hope to be at your standard and Alan what great HD MACRO it realy has made me more excited about what's to come in the summer months and mike that's a great shot taken from the right place looks great in sepia,i have uploaded my car to the forum at 800x600 but will do as you say Mike get them down to your recommendation,don't forget it's all so new to me this tech was not around when i was doing it all the buttons and settings on the cameras tend to frighten me a bit , if i switch to manual setting will the camera go back to where it started before i changed the settings when i turn it off? i know there is a button on the canon sx50 that lets you keep a favorite setting, oh and Phil yes you sead something about not having automatic on your canon SX40 ,well the 50 has a side socket that you plug into so you can take photoes without touching the camera,but surly yours has got this feature, i was looking on [you tube] and watched the tutorial on this camera and the guy zoomed onto the moon very clear,and yes will be at the halfway house meet in the summer with my camera so you can guide me then give me a few tips,as you will probably all know it's only 2 miles from me as i live in BASILDON had to leave the last one early as i had to be at BAS hospital at 2 o clock to visit the wife.yes she is ok at the moment but refuses to stop smoking, so enough sead on that.so looking forward to the next chapter my first love was golf was quite good handicap was at one time 7 .had to give it up health reasons,going now been on here to long look forward to seeing you guys this summer,regards GARY.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:05   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
hi guys,thank you for your posts Phil Alan Mike great stuff i know at the moment i can't hope to be at your standard and Alan what great HD MACRO it realy has made me more excited about what's to come in the summer months and mike that's a great shot taken from the right place looks great in sepia,i have uploaded my car to the forum at 800x600 but will do as you say Mike get them down to your recommendation,don't forget it's all so new to me this tech was not around when i was doing it all the buttons and settings on the cameras tend to frighten me a bit , if i switch to manual setting will the camera go back to where it started before i changed the settings when i turn it off? i know there is a button on the canon sx50 that lets you keep a favorite setting, oh and Phil yes you sead something about not having automatic on your canon SX40 ,well the 50 has a side socket that you plug into so you can take photoes without touching the camera,but surly yours has got this feature, i was looking on [you tube] and watched the tutorial on this camera and the guy zoomed onto the moon very clear,and yes will be at the halfway house meet in the summer with my camera so you can guide me then give me a few tips,as you will probably all know it's only 2 miles from me as i live in BASILDON had to leave the last one early as i had to be at BAS hospital at 2 o clock to visit the wife.yes she is ok at the moment but refuses to stop smoking, so enough sead on that.so looking forward to the next chapter my first love was golf was quite good handicap was at one time 7 .had to give it up health reasons,going now been on here to long look forward to seeing you guys this summer,regards GARY.
Hi Gary,
Glad your enjoying your Photography
You know the next Halfway House meet is Sunday week don't you?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=131677
Quite a few of us photography types will be there as well
Golf hey! My Dad is the Manager of Crondon Park Golf Club in Stock just down the road from you and also an Mg Zt owner

Last edited by coolcat; 8th January 2013 at 11:07..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 12:59   #10
grandy
Passed Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Gary,
Glad your enjoying your Photography
You know the next Halfway House meet is Sunday week don't you?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=131677
Quite a few of us photography types will be there as well
Golf hey! My Dad is the Manager of Crondon Park Golf Club in Stock just down the road from you and also an Mg Zt owner
hi Jeff,nice of you to drop in great i do love this club, sunday week halfway house well yes will stick it on calender when i get up out of my chair, right so dad is manager of crondon park golf club might come in handy Jeff as i can still play but need a buggy , i know buggys are off this time of year but perhaps in the summer will go for a game ,i am not entirely knackered just run out of puff quicker than i used to. yep looking forward to this summer get my photography going again , halfway house will be entirely weather permitting be great in the summer though take some great pics at southend, thank you for posting to me Jeff . ----GARY.