Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2015, 22:07   #1
Data

MG ZT-T 190+

Default ZT-T Front struts

Ok, I give in. There must be a secret to reassembling the front struts, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Managed to strip the old struts down with no problems using two spring compressors.

I have new springs, shocks and top bearings but the rest of the parts are reused as they were in good condition.

I have compressed the spring so that the middle three coils are pretty much touching but when I put everything together there is not enough of the piston showing to get the top washer and nut on.

Initially tried with just the two compressors but that wouldn't work, borrowed another pair so that I have four on there, still no joy.

The new shock doesn't really extend that much, checked and it is showing the same amount of piston as the old one.

Am at the end of my tether now, someone must know the special trick to get it built up.......anyone?

Mark S.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 22:20   #2
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

I have just replaced my strut top bearings and had the same problem. I clamped the springs as you have and then put 2 ratchet straps opposite each other and ratcheted them up. This compressed them a little more but enough to reassemble the the top of the strut. Once the nut was on I carefully released the ratchet straps (otherwise they'd get pinched) and then undid the spring compressors.
It was pointed out to me that new shock absorbers have a rod/wire holding them in a collapsed position and once released allows the shock absorber piston to extend, which mine didn't.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 22:27   #3
Data

MG ZT-T 190+

So a quick update, finally got my struts reassembled. It took two of us with 3 spring compressors, 3 ratchet straps, an air impact gun and multiple repositioning whilst the springs were compressed to get the damn things together.

As an aside I took them to a garage who had a pro compressor and after half an hour he gave up saying it broke his tool!

If I never have to do this job again it will be too soon. There should be a How To on this......Pay someone else to do the job 😀

Next job, replace lower arms and bushes, so far this is not going well either, got the bushes and hub ball joint undone with no problems. Can I get the subframe ball joint out.........no way! Appears to be rusted solid, have hit it, jacked it, dropped it and it won't bloomin shift.

This car is fighting me at every turn 😡
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 08:25   #4
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi,

This is how I did mine: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=429651

I found it quite easy, but I guess that there is some difference in the springs and shocks used on the ZT compared to my R75. The R75 may have a longer damper rod???

I also find this harder when using old dampers as their rod will not always expand to their upper position by their self as new ones do.
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote